Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:42 AM   #21

I immediately noticed a couple of things about the first shot.

The first is the halos in the sky. Notice that the image of the sky, where it is adjacent to darker areas, is lighter than it is elsewhere. That's from the Sharpness setting of Hard. When you increase the Sharpness, the camera (or the image editting application, in post processing) lightens the light areas where they touch dark areas and darkens the dark areas where they touch light areas. It doesn't actually sharpen anything, it just plays with the colors to accentuate the differences (Contrast). The same effect can also be seen where sunlight is reflected off the window of the house and onto the grass and the deck.

The second thing I noticed is that the center of the image is very dark. You have metering set to Center Weighted, so the center of the image should be properly exposed, but you also have an exposure compensation of -0.7 EV which makes everything darker.

In the second shot, everything is brighter, but that's because you used a shutter speed of 1/100 instead of the 1/250 you used in the first.

So, in this particular instance, I think you did better without the flash, but you did blow the highlights in the sky (where the extra sharpening lightened it) and the window frame.

As I see it, you're using Center Weighted metering when the center of the frame is dark (which should expose the center properly), and then turning down the exposure with a exposure compensation of -0.7 EV (which makes the dark center get darker again.) And because you're using too much sharpening, a good portion of the sky gets overexposed.

BTW, according to DxOMark.com, the A550 has better dynamic range than the A700, but they're about equal at the ISO 200 you were using here.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I immediately noticed a couple of things about the first shot.

The first is the halos in the sky. Notice that the image of the sky, where it is adjacent to darker areas, is lighter than it is elsewhere. That's from the Sharpness setting of Hard. When you increase the Sharpness, the camera (or the image editting application, in post processing) lightens the light areas where they touch dark areas and darkens the dark areas where they touch light areas. It doesn't actually sharpen anything, it just plays with the colors to accentuate the differences (Contrast). The same effect can also be seen where sunlight is reflected off the window of the house and onto the grass and the deck.

The second thing I noticed is that the center of the image is very dark. You have metering set to Center Weighted, so the center of the image should be properly exposed, but you also have an exposure compensation of -0.7 EV which makes everything darker.

In the second shot, everything is brighter, but that's because you used a shutter speed of 1/100 instead of the 1/250 you used in the first.

So, in this particular instance, I think you did better without the flash, but you did blow the highlights in the sky (where the extra sharpening lightened it) and the window frame.

As I see it, you're using Center Weighted metering when the center of the frame is dark (which should expose the center properly), and then turning down the exposure with a exposure compensation of -0.7 EV (which makes the dark center get darker again.) And because you're using too much sharpening, a good portion of the sky gets overexposed.

BTW, according to DxOMark.com, the A550 has better dynamic range than the A700, but they're about equal at the ISO 200 you were using here.
TCav You point out some thing that does need to be looked at such as the halos from the sharpening. I don't like that look either but I'm not sure that adjusting down sharpness is going to fix the washed out sky and colors near the sky. I will try what you suggest and see what happens then post results.

I do like the flash photo better. It seems to properly expose the sky along with the darker foreground, expanded dynamic range. But I don't like the obvious halo. I just don't like carrying a flash with me everywhere I go but it seems that I am regretting more times then not I wished I would have had my flash.

I'll post more after the sun comes up.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:16 PM   #23

Here's samples with a CP full effect, sharpness -3, -1 exposure comp. I stood in one place starting due north and turned counter clockwise shooting 5 shots. ISO 200, multi segment metering and no PP. With the CP it's not too bad except for the fourth photo.

So I guess that when shooting the A550 during the day you should use a ND4 or CP filter and - ev compensation to save your sky from being blown out.

EXIF is in photos.
Attached Images

Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:21 PM   #24

I think you're trying to make the camera take pictures that can't work. The sky is bright. and you have deep shade in the pic. I'm very happy again since I went multi-point-metering and make more of an effort to have reasonable backgrounds. If there's sky and it's daytime, I expect to lose it.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:20 PM   #25

Yeah Frank, your right it's my nature to push things to the limit. This highlight and washed out colors problem just seems more pronounced with the A550.

It's still a great camera for the wife. She uses it in full auto and never complains about her results.