Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Sony a200 thumbnails

It isn't a big deal at all, but I was just wondering if there's any info on this. It's pretty obscure anyway.
On my sony a200, whenever I load the grid view of my photos (it doesn't matter if I'm viewing 4 or 16 thumbnails in a grid, it often take about half a second to load a thumbnail, which is quite slow if trying to find a favorite out of a bunch of photos- it's almost faster to look at them one by one.
(although it also does load fast occasionally, but not very often)
I have quality set to standard jpg, so it's not having to deal with Fine or RAW.
A friend has a Nikon d3000, and his can load a grid of 100 in half a second.
I know his is newer and thus faster, but mine still seems too slow.
Oh, and I tested it on my normal Kingston 4gb and my Sandisk Ultra II 2gb (15mb/sec, which is decently fast as far as I know) and there is only marginal difference in this particular area. (obviously the Sandisk has faster write speeds etc.)

Oh, and thumbnails also load slowly when viewing on the computer. I'm guessing this is because I have a generic reader, which is probably pretty slow, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Again, this isn't really an issue, just a minor annoyance. And I suppose the only thing that can fix this is a firmware update, which won't be coming pretty much ever. So I guess the only question is if anyone else's is the same.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:06 PM   #2

Mr.Pete-

It is all a matter of the camera's firmware. That was not an issue when the A-200 was marketed. The Nikon is a much newer camera a speed is now an important issue.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:14 PM   #3

Thanks! That makes sense.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:19 AM   #4

I use a SDHC to Compact Flash adapter which I got from Ebay for my 2 Kingston Class4 and 2 Adata Class6 SDHC cards. Both brands work well with this adapter in my A200. It greatly improves the writing speed and there is very little or no lag when you view the pictures on the camera's LCD screen. I had the same problem you mentioned with my 8 gb Kingston 133X CF card. In fact, the adapter just came in yesterday. I am glad to have it because I will be able to use cheaper and faster SDHC cards on my A200. The speed rating on the CF card is very deceiving.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:02 PM   #5

That sounds good, especually since SD is so much cheaper. It's also good to hear from an A200 user.
Although, right now, I have 4gb and 2gb CFs, which is plenty for casual shooting, and since adapters run at $20 plus I have no SDs at this point it isnt really worth it. But I'll certainly keep it in mind...
Old Oct 2, 2010, 2:24 PM   #6

I am really disappointed on the performance of my 8gb Kingston 133X CF card which costs $25 plus tax. I just ordered a 16gb Class10 Patriot SDHC card from newegg for $32 including tax. There is a $5 rebate which will make it $27 when it comes in. I can't believe how fast the SDHC cards work even it is just 4x and 6X. I think it is worth the money spent on the adapter.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 2:50 PM   #7

Well, thatnks to you I certainly won't be buying any CF cards soon, especially since theyre roughly 2x the price of SD, and size isnt an issue for me. I dread the day when they start having micro SD slots in cameras though....