Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:06 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
.. I believe these two cameras (a500 & a550) share the same sensor and more then likely are very similar to each other.
They are very similar cameras. But, the A500 uses a 12MP sensor and the A550 uses a 14MP sensor. The A550 also gives you a 7fps "speed priority" mode you don't get with the A500, a larger internal buffer, and a higher rez LCD. But, other than those differences, they behave virtually the same and IQ is very similar between them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:15 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Get a large card (HCSD) for the burst.
BTW, the latest Pro HG Duo cards are much faster than SDHC. Note that you need to make sure you're getting a Pro HG (with the HG being the most important part), as the non HG cards are much slower (don't buy a MS Pro Duo card unless it's a Pro-HG version, as you'd be better off with a fast Class 10 SDHC card instead).

You can find some tests of SDHC cards here:

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/sp...cards-sdc.html

Note how much faster the Pro-HG Duo cards are:

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/sp...cards-msh.html

You'll find that the Pro-HG Duo cards are also faster in the A550.

Here's a quote from the A550 Review Conclusion here showing the differences:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lusion-43.html

Quote:
Switching to RAW with the Optical Viewfinder, I was able to capture 25 images in 5.2 seconds (4.8fps) before the camera slowed down, still capturing 87 images over 30 seconds. The camera's buffer took 7 seconds to clear with the Sandisk 8GB 30MB/Second Pro-HG Duo card. Switching to a Sandisk 4GB 30MB/Second SDHC card, I was able to capture 14 images in 3 seconds before the camera slowed down, capturing 49 images in 30 seconds. A full buffer took approximately 11 seconds to clear with the Sandisk 4GB 30MB/Second Class 10 SDHC Card. In other words, the best performance when shooting RAW is with a Sandisk 30MB/Second Pro-HG Duo card, allowing more RAW images before the camera slows down, with faster full buffer clear times (as compared to a Sandisk 4GB 30MB/Second Class 10 SDHC Card, which tested slower than Sandisk Pro-HG Duo media in this camera model).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:47 PM   #13

Thanks for your insight Jim. It very well could be vielling flare which maybe more prevalent in a wide angle lens such as the Tamron 17-50 that I was using.

It's a new camera and lens and I haven't become very familiar with it yet.

So far the A700 seems to be a more forgiving camera when shooting towards the bright side of the sky. Of course I have to consider that I shoot raw with the A700 and jpeg with the a550 and that would probably give an advantage to the a700 with handling the dynamic range.

As for the filter I'm using, it's a B&H F pro that came with the lens and I always shoot with the hood outdoors.

At this point I'm getting the best exposure using a circular polarizer with that camera/lens combo when outdoors, when my wife lets me use it. I bought for her and she uses full auto ( just like a big P&S) with excellent results.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote