Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
You might want to verify this Frank. Using the same Tamron mentioned by the OP just moving the focus ring from the AF to manual does not break the connection with the body so the AF servo is still engaged. Maybe the sliding ring on the Tamron is not counted as a switch.
Steve
Ok. Using the Sigma 1770 (no mf switch on the lens), as expected, the af/mf switch on the body changes the setting. Using the Sony 1855, the body switch has no effect. The lens af/mf switch does the trick. In af mode, different scene choices select af-s, af-c or af-a. in mf mode, it stays mf through all scene choices.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:43 PM   #12

Thanks for input from all. I have never used scene mode as quoted but only realised the problem when using Macro when I felt it necessary to use Manual to focus on tiny wild orchids hiden in undergrowth. Only on testing did I realise that the Auto mode switched in on all other settings other than M.S.A.P. regardless of the camera Man/Auto switch and the lens.

Surely manual focussing is nearly essential in the Macro mode.

It would be interesting if other A200 users could verify that this is normal and does it happen with the A500/A550
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:50 PM   #13

Thanks JimC for the link to ephotozine.com. I only checked it after my last reply. All things are normal and I can live with it of course
Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:15 PM   #14
Administrator

You don't need to use to use the Macro position on the mode dial (which is what I call one of the "Scene" modes) to take macro photos. You could use Aperture Priority instead. Chances are, that mode dial position (Macro) is only telling the camera to favor using higher f/stop numbers for greater depth of field, and perhaps telling the Autofocus algorithms to lean towards finding the closest focus point.

There isn't anything "special" about a scene mode like that. It's only presetting some things for you, and you could accomplish the same thing yourself by using other modes that give you more control over the camera's behavior.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote