Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:07 PM   #1

Default Lens question

I have a Tamron SP Di 90mm 1.28 Macro lens.

I generally use this lens for wildflower photography and I am pleased with the results.
I use Manual setting - setting both on the lens and A200.
All works well when I use Aparture priority but setting Macro immediately changes the focussing to Auto..... is this normal or a lens fault?

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:53 AM   #2

Are you saying that, even though you set the Focus Mode switch (on the side of the camera, near the lens mount) to the MF (Manual Focus) position, when you select the Macro setting on the Mode Dial, the camera autofocuses anyway?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:43 AM   #3

I knew you would respond TCav and am pleased you did so.

With both the camera body and the lens set to manual, Manual focussing works as it should on M, S ,A or P.

All other positions the camera switches to Auto regardless of the the manual switch.

I should have done a bit more homework. This occurs not just with the lens quoted but with all the lenses that I have including the kit lens.

I guess I have a camera body problem.

(Lens should have read 1:2.8 of course)
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:04 AM   #4

Just want to add in here that the Sony a500 manual says that if the lens has an af/mf switch, it controls the selection. not the camera af/mf switch. the camera switch is ignored in that case. Naturally, if the lens has no switch, the camera switch decides.

as for the a200...don't know.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:08 AM   #5
Administrator

The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro has a focus ring that acts as an MF/AF selector (push/pull operation to change modes). But, using MF mode does not fully decouple the AF gearing with it (you need to use the body AF/MF switch for that purpose), acting in a similar manner to other manufacturer's Manual Focus Override features.

From what I can gather, Manual focusing works fine in P, A, S, or M modes; and the issue is with other mode dial positions.

Quote:
With both the camera body and the lens set to manual, Manual focussing works as it should on M, S ,A or P.

All other positions the camera switches to Auto regardless of the the manual switch.
So, I'm assuming the OP is talking about using some of the different scene modes available (Macro, etc.). I've never tried any of the scene modes on a Sony dSLR (even though I've used a variety of Sony dSLR bodies). So, I wouldn't know how they would behave. My guess is that use of a scene mode (or full Auto) overrides the MF/AF switch choice with A200.

My suggestion... don't use those modes if you want manual focus. ;-)

Use other modes instead (aperture priority is probably a good bet for macros).

It's not uncommon to see cameras limit available user choices when used in Scene or Full Auto type modes, and it sounds like it works fine when you don't do that (sticking with P,A,S,M choices instead). Restricting user choice in Full Auto type modes helps prevent new dSLR users from making mistakes, as Full Auto and Scene Modes are usually designed to make all of the decisions for you (including where to focus).

So, I suspect there is nothing wrong with the camera, and it's working as designed.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:09 AM   #6

Has this always happened as long as you've had it, is this something new, or did you just recently notice this?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:06 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
....So, I suspect there is nothing wrong with the camera, and it's working as designed.
Yep... A quick google search confirms that others see the same thing with some Sony bodies (automatically overrides your AF/MF switch selection when using a Scene Mode). See the last post on this page for one example of an A200 owner confirming the camera's behavior:

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/top...mode-62719/p-0

It looks like you might be able to switch it to AF and back to MF *after* you change the mode dial position to a Scene Mode with some models (as I see users mentioning that).

Again, full Auto and Scene modes are designed to make all of the decisions for you, and it's not uncommon for those types of modes to override any settings a user has made.

For more control with less hassle, I'd use Aperture Priority instead. ;-)
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:12 AM   #8

I knew that switching to or between AUTO and any of the Scene Selection modes would reset any settings that you had chosen in the menus, but the fact that it resets a switch position surprises me.

At least it doesn't reset the diopter adjustment.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
Just want to add in here that the Sony a500 manual says that if the lens has an af/mf switch, it controls the selection. not the camera af/mf switch. the camera switch is ignored in that case. Naturally, if the lens has no switch, the camera switch decides.
You might want to verify this Frank. Using the same Tamron mentioned by the OP just moving the focus ring from the AF to manual does not break the connection with the body so the AF servo is still engaged. Maybe the sliding ring on the Tamron is not counted as a switch.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Administrator

He's getting the same thing using the camera body switch with other lenses, too. ;-)

Quote:
This occurs not just with the lens quoted but with all the lenses that I have including the kit lens.
From what I can see from threads elsewhere, the camera is working as designed (it will override your AF/MF Switch position when you try to use modes other than PASM).

Again, it's *very* common for cameras to override user settings when using full Auto or Scene modes. That helps prevent new dSLR users from making settings mistakes. IOW, they can switch back to full Auto or one of the Scene modes and bypass any settings made in other modes that may be causing issues.

IOW, if you want more control, you should stick with one of the PASM (Programmed Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual) modes instead. I've used a variety of Sony dSLR models, and I've never even tried one of the scene modes with one, as I prefer to have more control over my photos (versus letting the camera decide the aperture, focus area mode, focus point, drive mode, metering mode, etc.)