Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:16 PM   #21

Sarah,

You're right, the lighting doesn't look as harsh. I am looking forward to giving bounce flash a try.

As for the lens. I told him it was his lens. That I reserve the right to replace it at a later date. He likes zoom. He tried out the camera on auto. His pictures came out better than they did when he zoomed on auto with our Sony. He was happy. So I'm not gonna stress about it.

Off to bed,

Diana
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:34 AM   #22

If your husband want a long reach lens in the price range of the 75-300, take a look at the tamron 70-300 instead. You will still have to stop down to get sharp photos. But not as much as the 75-300. The 75-300 you will have to be at f10-11 the tamron will be f8-f11. So you will need to pay attention to your shutter speed when the light drops off. It is a little better of a lens then the sony 75-300.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:52 AM   #23

Well, it's too late now. I'm not going to pay restocking fees. Not going to stress about it. I get to make payments on it. It seemed to do fine on Saturday, at least to my eyes.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:54 AM   #24

It should work well just stop down when you do not need the shallow dof, and when you do, just sharpen in PP.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:07 AM   #25

I will remember that. I haven't quite figured out how to make those fine tuning adjustments in PP, at least where it makes a difference, or a positive difference... but I'm taking a freebie class on Photoshop that starts at the end of the month.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:13 PM   #26

Purple as an alternative you can just use Auto HDR which was created by one of our board members. I am no photoshop professional but I am experienced with it and tend to think Auto HDR can fix things faster and easier sometimes.. well worth a shot before I try to photoshop fix it.

Here is the link and you can see the before and after too: http://www.autohdr.co.uk/

Basically all you do is click and drag image into the program, it automatically resizes it and you click process to see what it can do with it. If you like it, save the modified file or just close the program. Your original file remains untouched.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:17 PM   #27

I have that program installed but haven't played around with it too much.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:52 PM   #28

I want to throw in a point that has been mentioned before but not much. If you set the ISO to auto in A mode, it will raise and lower appropriately to maintain a minimum shutter speed something like 1/focal length. I read that somewhere, I tried it and it seems to be the case. It will only bump the ISO to 1600 so you still need to keep an eye on chosen shutter speed but maybe a little less.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:21 AM   #29

I thought I was noticing that trend, but didn't know for sure. But thanks, is a good idea to keep it mind!