Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:10 PM   #1

Default First shots with the A500

The stomach flu sucks.

I went out yesterday with my new camera

These are a couple of shots. I'm too lazy right now to do anything other than upload them to flickr. I'm just quite excited to finally have a DSLR. I know I have a lot to learn, but so far I'm impressed with the differences from the P&S world.

1. I think that learning how to get exposure right is going to be my biggest battle to begin with. It's a bit easier in the P&S world to see the changes in live view. It was 1pm, very bright, and hazy on the horizon...

2. I really like how fast this camera is.

3. This dog was so cute, he just sat around posing till his owner would call him along. I know the Sony 75-300 gets bad reviews (like I said in my other posts, it's my husband's lens...was too sick to argue with him) but it still did better, in my opinion, than my H5.

4. Last one... indoors at TGIFridays, not the best lighting. I think it did pretty well. Would never have gotten this with my P&S... kind of a boring subject though, but my husband threatened me if I used the one I took of him, lol.

Back to bed...ugh, this is so lame. I want to go play with my camera... but just as well. It's very dreary outside.

Thanks for everyone that helped in my decision. I couldn't be happier

Diana
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:25 PM   #2
Administrator

We're glad you're enjoying it (the camera, not the flu). ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:21 PM   #3

Diana-

It looks like you are off to a good beginning. I hope you feel better. The A-500 is a very good camera. I assume that those images were taken with the Sony 75-300mm, or have you already got a few lenses?

I have found that the Tamron 18-250mm lens also works very well on the A-500, and saves lots of lens changes.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:29 PM   #4
Super Moderator

these look good. i really like the dog shot.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
We're glad you're enjoying it (the camera, not the flu). ;-)
Haha, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Diana-

It looks like you are off to a good beginning. I hope you feel better. The A-500 is a very good camera. I assume that those images were taken with the Sony 75-300mm, or have you already got a few lenses?

I have found that the Tamron 18-250mm lens also works very well on the A-500, and saves lots of lens changes.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks, feeling a little better. But tomorrow I have to study for a math test and go to school, so maybe on Tuesday I get to test it out on the kiddos.

2 & 3 were taken with the 75-300. 1 & 4 was taken with the 18-55 kit lens. I have just those 2 lenses. I want to wait awhile before I get another lens. I can see how the Tamron 18-250 would be nice for when you don't want to change lenses though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
these look good. i really like the dog shot.
Thanks. This is my first time with a DSLR so it's going to take some getting use to.

That dog was very well trained and a ham. He had him walking on his hind legs around the park and then posing for people.

-Diana
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Super Moderator

you mentioned comfort with live view. you know that the sony a500 has the best implimentation of live view for any dslr, it retains the fast phase detect AF, so feel free to experiment with that when its useful.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
you mentioned comfort with live view. you know that the sony a500 has the best implimentation of live view for any dslr, it retains the fast phase detect AF, so feel free to experiment with that when its useful.
It was one of the reasons I went with Sony. Live view is great. I wasn't sure what to expect as far as speed went but it was quite fast. When I used the longer lens it was easier to compose in the OVF. I think it's actually using an OVF vs an EVF that is going to take some getting use to. My brain just kept expecting to see the review shot in the viewfinder...lol. I'll get use to it. It's not a bad thing, just different.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:52 AM   #8

Hehe, in the past year I've gone from using a p&s to not even being able to hold one. (they are so light, and no grip to speak of...) I still accidentally pull the viewfinder of a p&s up to my eyes (sometimes even if it doesn't have one lol) and am a bit embarrassed.

The other funny thing is when you give someone your camera to take a picture, and they sit there looking at the screen, waiting for the LV to come on. (although obviously you can switch it on for them unlike me with an a200)

Personally, the only times I miss it is with very low/high shots, astrophotography (and some other tripod work), and certain creative shots (like including flare for effect). Otherwise the speed and quality cannot be surpassed.
Plus its seems like you got the best of both worlds. Congratulations!
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
Hehe, in the past year I've gone from using a p&s to not even being able to hold one. (they are so light, and no grip to speak of...) I still accidentally pull the viewfinder of a p&s up to my eyes (sometimes even if it doesn't have one lol) and am a bit embarrassed.

The other funny thing is when you give someone your camera to take a picture, and they sit there looking at the screen, waiting for the LV to come on. (although obviously you can switch it on for them unlike me with an a200)

Personally, the only times I miss it is with very low/high shots, astrophotography (and some other tripod work), and certain creative shots (like including flare for effect). Otherwise the speed and quality cannot be surpassed.
Plus its seems like you got the best of both worlds. Congratulations!
Sorry, I missed this one....

Thanks, I really do love my new camera.

When my husband got the Nikon L22 last year I had a heck of a time with it. I kept trying to use the viewfinder...the non-existent viewfinder.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:20 AM   #10

I want that puppy, he is so cute.
You are doing good with the camera...keep going, um, after you get better...um, tell ya secret...I shoot photos in bed when sick...cuz I get sick of being in bed...I shoot feet, mine of course, hands, the view from the window, my own puppies look at me when I get the camera out with the look of 'mommmm, not again'. I will take pics of things that intrigue me like patterns of cloth, or repeated patterns. I tried to take some of the llamas but they were a fever induced hallucination so they didn't come out...the llamas were walking down the hall one day...odd, the dogs didn't bark. I wish I could have taken some of them, they were so lovely, with long eyelashes and fur and all. (flu and a 103 temp)
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote