Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:39 PM   #1

Default Want to travel light, but..

I'm taking a cruise on the Danube river in a couple of weeks and am trying to decide what gear to take. I want to travel as light as possible. I'll be taking my a100 and my wife's Maxxum 70/ with a 28-90 f3.5/5.6. She likes this lens and it is a good copy. For my a100, I'm torn between my Sigma 17-70 f2.8/4.5 or my Sigma 18-125 f3.5/5.6 (for the extra reach). I'll be taking my 50mm f1.7 also for indoor shots. I have tried both of those other lenses with a 2x TC and in the daylight they both work well. There won't be to many long distance shots as the river isn't all that wide. We will be taking a lot of shore excursions so I'll be able to get close to the main buildings, etc. Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

I should add that I also have a Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 and a beercan but they are both big and heavy and I don't want the weight.

Last edited by donp; Oct 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM. Reason: added choices
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2

I havnt used either lens, but i would be more likely to go with the 18-125, giving you that wee bit extra reach as you say. Then you have your bases covered
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:47 AM   #3

My take on your situation is that the Sigma 17-70 is better and faster than the 18-125, so it will probably work better with your 2X TC when you need it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:26 PM   #4

If I had a choice of two lenses to tote, it would be the 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 and the new 35mm f/1.8 DT.

The prime gives you a nice effectively-50mm shot with plenty of light ... and the 18-250 gives you reach like is was going out of style. If is a solid choice for traveling. You just need to use it outdoors.

My two-centavos.
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 4:50 PM   #5

The Sony 18-250 is a lot more expensive than any of the other lenses mentioned here, and it's not as good as most of the other lenses mentioned here.

That's a high price to pay for a little convenience while traveling.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:46 PM   #6

Default A "quality" snap ... money in ... better out?

Personally, I do not travel that much without the entire bag of the quality lenses. If I'm going to take the time to shoot it ... I want to do it as well as I can.

The 18-250 is a one lens compromise ... and that's all. Not perfect, but simple.
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Nov 3, 2010 at 6:53 PM.
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:36 PM   #7

My travel light package consist of a KM 5D, Sony 18-250 and either a Minolta 28 f2 or a Minolta 50 f1.7. That gives you full range on the zoom and lots of light in 2 lenses.

Works great for me.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:03 PM   #8

Well, I'm back and the 17-70 and the 50mm were all I needed. I never had to use the 2x TC as all of the scenery was well within the 70mm range. Thanks for all the advice !
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:53 PM   #9

Congratulations. I'm pleased everything went well. Are you going to post some photos?