Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:02 PM   #11

OK. Lemme try.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...yclocross.html
hope that works.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:12 PM   #12

Wow. Those are what you consider to be not so good? Thats way better than I expected. I'm not expecting that good of quality for what I'm wanting to do.
HDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDon View Post
Wow. Those are what you consider to be not so good? Thats way better than I expected. I'm not expecting that good of quality for what I'm wanting to do.
When pics are resized and worked on, the quality is no longer an absolute. Ut looks good enough for family to me. And if it were a memory of my son riding (which it isn't), I would be the proudest father around.

Here's a 100% crop from the second picture. The lens was at 200mm. iso800 for both pictures. the fingers are just out-of-focus. the letters on his legs look to be on the plane i was focussed at.
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:48 PM   #14

I'll be happy with just being able to discern which kid it is and what they are doing.

I can live with zoomed-in blurry fingers.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:57 PM   #15

Take a look at the photos of indoor sports in the Sports & Action Photos forum, to see what equipment and settings others have used.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Take a look at the photos of indoor sports in the Sports & Action Photos forum, to see what equipment and settings others have used.
Great! Thank you!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDon View Post
The 75300 is more in line with what I was looking to pay. You mentioned its 'not so good'. I may be able to live with that. Do you have any images that would show me what sort of quality?

I don't need spectacular images, just functional.

Previously I've used a Konica Minolta Z3, used the Sports setting, and added a flash unit. I had to back the zoom out, crop and lighten the images in photoshop. They definitely win no awards, but for my purposes they were functional. The camera is getting old and I can no longer find a suitable replacement so I'm attempting to upgrade equipment. I have no previous working knowledge of SLRs, and no equipment to test.

Surely theres a way to get images at least as good of quality as from my Z3 without having $1500 in equipment.
I currently have one of theses 75-300's and its terrible inside with any blur unless you use a flash of high power. the regular flash on the camera isnt strong enough.
dterry927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:57 PM   #18

Indoors f5.6 isn't a good place to start with ambient light. With a nice strong flash it's fine. It's pretty unlikely you would need the 75300 in a room in a regular house anyway. If you did, you'll quickly see the limitations of your kit.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:57 AM   #19

Oh, and a zoom like the 75300mm is perfectly fine in bright light. Most budget zooms are pretty close in quality when compared in bright conditions and stopped down. Its when you do indoor stuff or go wide open when you can better tell the difference between them. So I would say that good shots bicycling outside does not mean that you will get good shots indoors.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

Last edited by mrpete; Oct 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:40 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
Oh, and a zoom like the 75300mm is perfectly fine in bright light. Most budget zooms are pretty close in quality when compared in bright conditions and stopped down. Its when you do indoor stuff or go wide open when you can better tell the difference between them. So I would say that good shots bicycling outside means that you will get good shots indoors.
First of all, a budget 75-300mm zoom that's down to f/5.6 when zoomed in much is not bright enough for indoor sports without a flash in typical gym lighting. Second of all, the Autofocus will be slow indoors for tracking action with a lens that dim (because the AF sensors don't see as well to focus indoors with a lens that doesn't let through enough light).

For indoor sports, you're going to want to use ISO 3200 with an f/2.8 lens to get your shutter speeds up to around 1/400 second in a typical high school or lower level gym for photos that are exposed properly (which is about the minimum you'd want for a higher percentage of keepers, and even then, you'd see some blur from rapid hand/ball/foot movement); or a lens with f/2 available (for example, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/1.8) if you want to be able to shoot at ISO 1600 at around 1/400 second instead.

With a zoom that's down to a widest available aperture of f/5.6 by the time you zoom in much, you'd be lucky to get 1/100 second at ISO 3200 in a typical high school gym (which means lots of blur with any movement at all). IOW, you'd need to time your shots so that you're taking them when the subjects are motionless to get keepers that are not blurry.

On a tight budget, I'd look at the new Sony 85mm f/2.8 ($249.99). If you shoot at ISO 3200, you should be able to get some keepers if you're close enough to the action (i.e., shooting from the floor versus the stands).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote