Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Default A 500 Lens for Indoor sports

I'm new to DSLR. I'm going to be needing a lens for an A 500. Cost is a priority. I might be able to invest in more later as I learn more, but for now I am on a tight budget. Used would be fine. I'm planning on shooting my children's indoor sporting events. I'm not expecting pro quality shots, but would like to be able to eventually have reasonable quality shots. I'm not sure where to start. I'd appreciate any help you may offer.
HDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:33 AM   #2

There are a few possiblities. If you can get away with an apperture of f/2.8 by compensating with a higher ISO without getting too much noise, then there are these:If you need something faster than f/2.8, your choices are limited to:Also, if you can find them, these lenses are available in the used market:*These lenses don't have their own fast autofocus motor, so they may not perform as well as the others in low-light sports/action photography.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:56 PM   #3

Not looking to shoot ESPN covers. Just something functional to take pics of my kids. I'm definitely not far enough along for thousand dollar lenses. Isn't there something functional while I'm learning?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:12 PM   #4

Just to lighten things up here, you're looking for cheap and good? right? me too.

You could get the sony 75300. it's cheap. (I have it) Not so good but might be serviceable. But it starts at f/4.5 so your iso will be high, shutter speed may be low. try a little test. take your current camera/lens combination to the venue. set your lens to 4.5. set your iso to 800. what shutter speed will you be using?

for a 200mm lens, you'll want 1/250 or faster. this is why when folks ask for a recommendation, the answer isn't pleasant. f/3.5 or f/4.5 lenses won't do what you want.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:25 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
Just to lighten things up here, you're looking for cheap and good? right? me too.

You could get the sony 75300. it's cheap. (I have it) Not so good but might be serviceable. But it starts at f/4.5 so your iso will be high, shutter speed may be low. try a little test. take your current camera/lens combination to the venue. set your lens to 4.5. set your iso to 800. what shutter speed will you be using?

for a 200mm lens, you'll want 1/250 or faster. this is why when folks ask for a recommendation, the answer isn't pleasant. f/3.5 or f/4.5 lenses won't do what you want.
For sports, generally you want 1/400s even if it's only a 50mm lens, as we are not worried about camera shake when shooting a sporting event but rather to freeze the action.

Also, that lens is f5.6 when you zoom so if you are doing the test go for it a f5.6, that will be more realistic otherwise you will be buying a lens to use in only a part of its range.

From experience, you usually want f2.8 and ISO 3200 or higher to get the sort of shutter speeds for good or semi good looking shots, not to mention the ability to be close enough to the action. If we are talking f5.6 then that's 1/4 of the light so it will be a struggle.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:50 PM   #6

Yep, indoor sports is one of the toughest types of photography there is. Actually shooting pros for ESPN is easier than shooting your kids - the pros have strobes mounted in the ceiling to use for their shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:54 PM   #7

The $250 Sony 85mm f/2.8 might work if you can get a fast enough shutter speed to prevent motion blur without getting too much noise because the ISO is too high.

But what you want to do is tough, and the gear that will do it well is expensive. Unfortunately, there's nothing for the Sony between cheap and limited that might work, and expensive and will work. Canon and Nikon both have 85mm f/1.8 lenses (~$400) that work well for exactly this situation, which is one reason I switched to Nikon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:02 PM   #8

The 75300 is more in line with what I was looking to pay. You mentioned its 'not so good'. I may be able to live with that. Do you have any images that would show me what sort of quality?

I don't need spectacular images, just functional.

Previously I've used a Konica Minolta Z3, used the Sports setting, and added a flash unit. I had to back the zoom out, crop and lighten the images in photoshop. They definitely win no awards, but for my purposes they were functional. The camera is getting old and I can no longer find a suitable replacement so I'm attempting to upgrade equipment. I have no previous working knowledge of SLRs, and no equipment to test.

Surely theres a way to get images at least as good of quality as from my Z3 without having $1500 in equipment.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDon View Post
The 75300 is more in line with what I was looking to pay. You mentioned its 'not so good'. I may be able to live with that. Do you have any images that would show me what sort of quality?
i just today posted some pics... toronto cyclocross ... both taken with the 75300 under sunny conditions. you can check the exif. i have lots more. in general, it's just not sharp. here's a compare: pictures printed on matt vs glossy. which did you used to do? the 75300 is like that (maybe i'm exaggerating a little).

but still i suggest doing your own test. f/5.6, iso3200 and see what shutter speed you'll get in the target venue. if it's way low, just forget it. or take far-away shots.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:57 PM   #10

[QUOTE=frank-in-toronto;1155853]i just today posted some pics... toronto cyclocross ... both taken with the 75300 under sunny conditions. you can check the exif. QUOTE]

I don't know what this is? Where are your cycle pics?