Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1

Default Another Lens Thread...Sorry

I have been trying to put together my APO lenses and have had nothing but issues and am hoping someone with more experience can help sort out some of my problems.

There is a lens thread going now but I am shopping at a different price point and did not wish to confuse his thread.

I started with a first generation Black 80-200 f/2.8 Minolta and a White 300 f/2.8 also Minolta. I have three Minolta APO tc's, two of which worked with the White lens and one with the Black. I traded the Black lens for a second generation White lens to discover that the White zoom is early in the production so is still not going to work with my tc's.

I have been reading reviews and user reports trying to decide on a two lens set with matched tc's (70-200 + 300). The reports are not good.

Tamron seems to be having focus and reliability issues. Lensrentals.com reports the issues are bad enough they no longer offer the Tamron in the Sony mount. They offer the Sigma lens in its place but have not yet written a review.

I have read two different reports of Sony aperture blades sticking and for the price I would prefer another option.

I know nothing first hand about Sigma but do remember past reports of failures with the A-mount. The new lenses are supposed to be both quiet and fast when focusing but the 70-200 is softer than the others at 200.

Would someone who experience with these fast APO lenses please help me sort this out?

I am looking for a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom, and 300 f/2.8 with proper tc's that give full function like they should.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:19 PM   #2

Steve-

I get a lot of use from my Minolta 80-210mm. It is a real work horse just like the Minolta 50MM F1.7.

If I want to go lighter in weight, the Sony 55-200mm is no slouch.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:35 AM   #3

Hello Sarah Joyce.

I am not familiar with the 80-210 and a quick check over at dyxum does not show one listed. Did you mean the Beercan? I do have the f/4 Beercan but night games and faster moving objects can be a problem. forget using a tc after dark, and sometimes during the day

I am trying to do work for our small newspaper so find myself shooting games on weekends then city and county government meetings a couple of times during the week. (and anything else they want me to shoot) It is a cool gig for someone trying to be semi retired.

The Government venues frown heavily on flash photography hence my desire to stick with the f/2.8 maximum aperture. I must say that elected officials are all about looking their best in the paper so have been good about adding a couple of lights for back lighting and letting me move the short platform they have for my tripod so I am shooting an angle away from the windows instead of into them.

Currently I use the zoom more than the prime and as JimC pointed out the White lenses attract unwanted attention in some indoor situations. I should have kept the Black zoom but did not listen.

I know I am going to bleed for these but I have lots of good trading fodder so it will not sting the wallet quite as bad.

I appreciate your input.

Steve

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Oct 19, 2010 at 8:42 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4

Steve-

That was my typo! Sorry! it is a Minolta 80-200mm lens.

With my A500 equipped with the Sony 55-200mm I have no problems with indoor/existing light photos. I just increase the ISO setting.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Steve-

That was my typo! Sorry! it is a Minolta 80-200mm lens.

With my A500 equipped with the Sony 55-200mm I have no problems with indoor/existing light photos. I just increase the ISO setting.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,
What ISO settings have you found useful for indoor shooting. I am waiting for the A580 to arrive next month and my get it for improved ISO and a couple of other features that my A700 doesn't have.
Can you post a couple of pictures with exif attached?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:32 PM   #6

Thanks for the clarification Sarah.

I have an 80-200 f/2.8 APO lens. I have the first run of the White 80-200 and the first of the 300 f/2.8. I swapped from the Black 80-200 first generation lens (that came back to bit me on the butt) as the tc's are not compatible. So now I am still stuck with two lenses and four tc's and some work here and some work there, and in all honesty, it adversely affects my sense of proportion.

Not knowing any better I traded for an early number White 80-200. The only difference was the White part so the tc's were all same same.

Two lenses with tc's that work all around. If the new lenses have to be White then I need to find another first generation 80-200 Minolta so I can shoot with a Black lens at counsel and government meetings.

All of this was predicted right here on the forum.

I shot six weeks worth of meetings with the Black lens and no one cared. I wear neutral color pleated wash slacks and a shirt to try to match the off white color of the walls to blend as much as possible.

No flash allowed

With the first generation Black 80-200 people looked the first time at the big kit from the paper and pretty much gave me no further notice. After that no one could have cared less.

I showed up with a White lens and even the gallery got nervous. Every time I click the shutter people glance to my corner of the room like someone just cut a fart.

If cost were no object what would you buy? (from what I see now Sony does not represent the best value per dollar)

Steve
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Fossil View Post
I am waiting for the A580 to arrive next month and my get it for improved ISO and a couple of other features that my A700 doesn't have.

Your A-700 is lacking? I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Steve
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
Your A-700 is lacking? I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Steve
Not at all. I love the A700. It is and has been a really terrific camera. I wish a replacement for it were on the way but what I am seeing will likely be an A77.

The A580 would just be a backup and also has better ISO from what I can determine, plus built in HDR and panning capability. Could care less about the video but it also has that.