Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1

Default Lens is confusing me

(posting this here please move it if it needs moving as I cant find where it goes,,,sorry)

OK, somehow I received this funny lens that does not fit my camera or any of my cameras which are all minolta or konica monilta cameras. I have both film and dig. the lense has some kind of thing sticking out of the end of it where you connect it to the camera. It is an old one apparently before they had electrodes or something. Now before you comment on my inability to fathom the workings of the basic camera, let me tell you this. I don't know squat about photography. Really, I just know not to point the thing at my head...anyway this lense is made by Tamron, and it says on the mounting ring specifically for Minolta. the following information is on the lense:BBAR MULTI C (in green letters), 1:2.8 f=28mm No.7057491 @52mm The us pat. # is 3500735. Now what is it for and should I just chunk it or what? Does any one have a camera it will fit? Do you want it?What is it worth if anything? Certainly nothing to me as I would have to buy another camera to have something for it to fit on...Go figure..
Thanks, Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Oct 20, 2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: really confused on where to post this
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:20 AM   #2

Sounds like a lens for one of the older, manual focus cameras. The Minoltas had a MC and a MD mount, with a piece that projected, which was for operating the iris.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:36 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post
(posting this here please move it if it needs moving as I cant find where it goes,,,sorry)
It sounds like you're using Autofocus SLR type cameras (Minolta Maxxum or Dynax series models). We have a separate Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR Forum setup for those (you posted in the Point and Shoot Section). So, I'll move this thread there for you now.

As already pointed out by VTphotog, it sounds like you've got an older MC/MD mount manual focus lens.

That's a totally different lens mount compared to the newer Autofocus mount.

Minolta changed their lens mount to an Autofocus setup some 25 years ago in 1985, beginning with the Maxxum 7000. Here's an article about it:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...um7k/index.htm

If you want to use Minolta lenses with an Autofocus SLR, you'll want Minolta Autofocus (a.k.a., Minolta A, Maxxum, Dynax) Mount lenses.

The older MC/MD mount manual focus lenses won't fit on a Minolta or Sony Autofocus SLR or dSLR model without an adapter (and then, you'd need to use manual focus with one and the adapter would need optical elements in it to allow focus to infinity, which can degrade optical quality).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 6:25 PM   #4

Thank you Brian and Jim. I obviously then will not need the lens, Do you know any one who has a camera it will fit> It will be free if they pay the postage to send it to them...Thanks again Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:10 PM   #5

I have retired my Minolta SRT. There are still a number of people who use them - Photo.net has a forum for classic, manual focus cameras with quite a lot of active users.
Your best bet might be to sell it through Ebay or Craigslist, or even to KEH.com and get yourself credit on some equipment you can use.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote