Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:10 AM   #91

PS
AF-A is a pretty useless mode, same thing with the canon AI focus. Stick with AF-C and AF-S for what you want
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:56 AM   #92

Hmm I looked at exif data on the shots posted earlier and see F10, ISO 100 and shutter speed 100.

So using Jim's comments I should have stopped down to F4, ISO about 800 or 1600 and that would get the shutter speed to 1/500 and also less (that is better) depth of field.

Also I had the AF - A set. Next time will make it AF-C.

Man I need to get the camera out a bit more. Just get so busy with other stuff. Every time I do get it out its fun.

Last edited by ozboy; Nov 15, 2010 at 6:22 AM.
ozboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:13 PM   #93

Well I handled the A55 and very much liked the evf (the salesperson thought it was optical). Coming from the Minolta 5D, which has just started coming up with an "err" message after taking a shot, being able to see the menus in the heads up display was nice.

Also access to the menus through the "function" button seemed to work well and was easy to follow. I'm sure there are more mainstream cameras out there, but since I have a nice Metz flash with Sony hotshoe and a couple of lenses have decided to go with the A55.

Will be using the camera for portrait photography mainly, and perhaps the video function for the odd video interview, although who has time to look at endless videos.

Will report back a little on findings once the camera has turned up.

I've also realised that the 17-35 Minolta lens isn't going to be much use for portraits and at this stage am leaning to the 17-80 Sony G lens which should be just within an "ebay assisted" budget here in Australia.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:17 PM   #94

Note that there are reports that it does continuous video for 7-10 minutes before overheating (some more, some less). If you need to record a full interview, a flip camera would be better and cheap.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:37 PM   #95

Hopefully interviews will be short and to the point.

Overheating is a nuisance to be sure. A flip camera is not a bad idea. Have also done interviews with the Iphone and the Sony TX7 (surprisingly good audio quality), as having the camera ready is the key to capturing the opportunity in what are invariably unscripted moments.

To the point of this thread I will endeavour to see how long the video function runs for before blowing up.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:42 PM   #96

I did see that its tracking no 6 in the camera sales stakes last month although of course its a much more recent release than most of the others on that list.
http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/japan-...a55,19957.html
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:46 PM   #97

Is the firmware on these cameras ever updated? Or are you just expected to buy a later model?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:04 AM   #98

Default Sony A55 Overhearting is ONLY with Stabilizer on

The Sony A33 and A55 only overheat with the stabilizer turned on in camera. If you turn it off they wont overheat. I shot 2 hours of video on the camera on three different occasions and had no overheating issues. The stabilization being turned off also doesnt seem to make much difference, even handheld and of course with a tripod its a non issue.
Zam919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:20 AM   #99

Short zoom or Long zoom?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:32 AM   #100

The A55 arrived. I can't get over the view finder compared to the Minolta I was using before (currently being repaired). Just amazes me that the light in the view finder changes as you adjust the shutter speed.

What also amazes me is the low light capability using a high ISO, admittedly it gets very noisy around 3200, however it still produces a bright picture.

No doubt there's a million things wrong with this camera as i will discover in due course. Tonight though we are at the dance.

I've attached a very low res image of the second photo taken by the camera, lens filter was a touch smudgy and there was no attention paid to depth of field.
Attached Images