Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:07 PM   #11

What types of photography are you into, while the sony do boast a 10fps burst it is not ideal for action shooting with the refresh rate of the evf. Limiting you to 3fps, not tacking the subject. So if you are into shooting action, ie sports, bif's or animal on the run. If this is the case, the A560 or A580 would be better as you can shoot a a faster the fps around 5fps tracking. The A55 would not be a good choice for action shooters. But if action is not big then it would fit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
I am going to buy the Sony Alpha a55. I currently have an Alpha a230, which was my first DSLR. I want an upgrade. However I heard that there is possible overheating issues? Has anyone else heard this? Also everywhere online seems to be out of stock or post ridiculously long shipping times. Is this because they are just so popular or is this due to the overheating? I have noticed that the a33 is more readily available, but the extra $100 is worth it for me just for the GPS.

Thanks!!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:59 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
What types of photography are you into, while the sony do boast a 10fps burst it is not ideal for action shooting with the refresh rate of the evf. Limiting you to 3fps, not tacking the subject.
You're not limited to 3fps when shooting action. I see that kind of thing posted often.

I've seen comments from respected reviewers that have used the camera that will tell you that with a bit of practice, the system can work well for capturing action.

Just because you see a stream of photos already taken in the LCD with a small delay in 10fps drive mode, doesn't mean it can't work if you practice your technique using this system some.

There are very few interchangeable lens cameras on the market capable of that kind of frame rate. One is the Nikon D3s (with a body only price of around $5000 at authorized dealers), and the other is the Canon EOS-1D Mk IV (with a body only price of almost $5000).

The Sony A55 is selling for $799 body only. Big difference.

So, sure, it may not be able to maintain the performance you'd get with a camera costing 6 times as much, and some reviewers have noted a much higher "hit rate" using it's 6fps drive mode. But, for it's price point, if you need a camera capable of faster frame rates for shooting action, you could learn to get used to it's EVF behavior if you're on a budget, as nothing else in it's price range is going to match it. ;-)

Even some Pentax fans (since I see you promoting the K-x pretty often here) will admit that it's quite capable. For example, here's a Pentax enthusiast mentioning this about it compared to the K7 (Sony had a half pipe with bikes setup to show how well the newer models work at Photokina):

"..In the end, the number of usable photos per half pipe turn may have been twice in Sony's advantage..."

http://www.falklumo.com/en/k5preview.html

There are pros and cons to any approach. But, for action, nothing in it's price range (body list price of $799) comes close to what it's capable of.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:05 PM   #13

I like what dpreview said:
Good for:Feature-hungry photographers from entry- to enthusiast level
Not so good for:Anyone who expects real pro-level sports camera performance at a budget price
So you're not getting a D3s, but you're getting limited 10fps in an $800 camera! It is a feature that gives it an edge over competition, even if it not fully fledged.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:06 PM   #14

you can not see the target moving during refresh. So you are really shooting blind during the refresh period. I have tried it on evf camera. It is not suitable. So I will stay with my point, 3fps is the reality of shooting action with a evf camera currently with the refresh rate.

Try to use the 10fps or the 5fps, good luck on keeping a moving target in the frame in focus without being able to see it.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:17 PM   #15
Administrator

You're seeing the frames already taken at around 1/10 second delay. So what, given the frame rate.

You're still getting a decent review, when you consider the blackout time between frames using a slower camera using a reflex mirror based system (i.e., virtually any other camera at it's price point)

It's just different and can take some take some getting used to (and not all EVF cameras are the same, so I'd reserve judgment unless you've use one yourself for a while).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:21 PM   #16

The refresh rate are all the same currently. The they are all refresh slow.

But with the ovf, you still can track the subject during a 2-4 sec burst, not going to happen with any evf cameras current. That is the state of todays evf technologies. You can shoot at 1 second and get a percentage correct, but if you move past 1 second burst, good luck.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:27 PM   #17

Honestly, I think no one can have a real opinion until they're handled it. Supporters included.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:33 PM   #18

It is still not ideal with the slow refresh rate, the best evf on the market currently is on the panasonic gh2, but the refresh rate is still slow. They tout it on resolution, not refresh rate.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:19 AM   #19

Yea I basically do mostly landscapes and nature. I RARELY shoot action/sports so the 10FPS doesn't really matter to me. I do plan on shooting video, but it will be mostly "stock" type videos, not home movies etc. I like the a55 because I love EVFs, I love the fact that it has GPS, I like the swiveling screen, and want it for the movie quality.

Also this is a tangent, but does the fact that it has a translucent sensor have an effect on low-light situations at all?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:33 AM   #20

You might want to read up more on the A55 with video, seems there is a over heating issues with the sensor. Here is just review, there are other reports out there.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/29/s...eating-sensor/