Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:34 AM   #21

How is the Alpha a580? I've been looking at reviews, and that looks like it might be a better camera for me. It seems like there are more features that relate to actually taking photos which would be useful to me. I also am not too fond of the size of the a55. I also like that the 580 has many more buttons.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:39 AM   #22

The a580 is an excellent camera, could be the best sony aps-c dslr ever for the entry to mid level market. If you are interested, I would seriously go check it out at a store. You can use the 5+fps effectively with it. 10fps is still for things like sweep pano, which seem some people like.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:09 AM   #23

As I see it, there are two major drawbacks to the A55. One is the crappy battery life. A single fully charged battery will die when your 4 GB card is only about 3/4 full. (BTW, at 10fps, that's about 45 seconds of shooting time.) If you're going out for a day's shooting, or you're on vacation, you'll need spare batteries. The second is that the EVF doesn't have a high enough resolution to compare with the mediocre OVF in the A580. It's bigger, and brighter, and it zooms, but for framing an entire image, the resolution is worse than any OVF in any Sony dSLR (with the possible exception of the A3X0 Series.)

Last edited by TCav; Oct 22, 2010 at 7:05 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:40 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
A single fully charged battery will die before you've filled a 2 GB card. (BTW, at 10fps, that's about 40 seconds of shooting time.)
You can't go by the CIPA Ratings for that type of shooting

The CIPA tests are designed so that the camera has to focus from wide to infinity before each photo (or from wide to infinity to wide again every other photo), with LCD Preview of the image turned on, camera power cycled after every 10 photos, 50% of the photos taken using a flash and more.

http://www.cipa.jp/english/hyoujunka...f/DC-002_e.pdf

If you're shooting 10fps bursts, you'll get a lot more photos.

For example, I saw an NEX-5 (with a CIPA rating of 330 photos) using continuous drive modes take 762 photos in multiple bursts (separate bursts with settings changes between them) with 82% battery life remaining. It could have easily taken thousands that way at faster frame rates in a shorter period of time. After 762 still photos, multiple video clips were taken with it, and it still had 60% battery life remaining.

It all depends on how you're using a camera. For example, if you're leaving the LCD on for long periods of time, that's going to impact battery life. But, you don't run one down by taking a 40 second burst of photos.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:32 AM   #25

Ok, so maybe the 45 seconds of shooting time at 10fps is unrealistic. But the CIPA Ratings are based on a worst case senario, which doesn't make them unrealistic as a general indication of what the user can expect or as a basis of comparison between this and other cameras. And, in such comparisons, the A55 does not do well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:51 AM   #26

Although I obviously love the high capacity battery of the a200 etc, but since you can get third party batteries on eBay for $10 I'm not too worried (oh, and I've gotten several of them and they're basically as good as the originals)
With my old Canon p&s I faithfully watched the battery life so that I could change before I miss a shot. That is a habit I lost with the awesome Sony battery. But I could easily regain it; it isn't that big of a pain.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
Although I obviously love the high capacity battery of the a200 etc, but since you can get third party batteries on eBay for $10 I'm not too worried (oh, and I've gotten several of them and they're basically as good as the originals)
With my old Canon p&s I faithfully watched the battery life so that I could change before I miss a shot. That is a habit I lost with the awesome Sony battery. But I could easily regain it; it isn't that big of a pain.
Ok. So for me deciding between the a55 and the a580 I guess it comes down to overall image quality. Is there a clear winner in image quality?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:37 AM   #28
Administrator

There are more differences between those two (A55, A580), besides overall image quality. ;-)

There is a reason that Sony went with the design the A55 uses. That design allows for Phase Detect Autofocus while shooting video. The A580 will not be able to use faster Phase Detect AF when shooting video. The A55 design also allows for faster frame rates with AF (without the "blackout" time that the AF sensors would normally have from mirror flipping). The A55's use of an EVF also gives you a better frame view, while allowing you to more easily estimate what you're going to see in your photos (as it will dim and brighten with EV changes you make using Exposure Compensation, show changed colors if you change WB, etc.).

Try one in a store, versus relying on comments from users that have never picked one up.

On the plus side, the A580 will have better battery life and you don't lose any light through the mirror with still photos (since it flips out of the way for each photo taken).

There are pros and cons to any of them. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:12 PM   #29

Avaibility in Germany/Austria/GB/Poland ...

http://geizhals.at/eu/a563498.html

amazon 849 incl 19% VAT .. in stock
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Avaibility in Germany/Austria/GB/Poland ...

http://geizhals.at/eu/a563498.html

amazon 849 incl 19% VAT .. in stock
Thanks for the link. I am based in the US though.