Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:18 AM   #31

Default α77 vs α580 vs α700

It may be worth the wait to go for the α77 (Q1 or 2 2011) ... which may address these issues in grand fashion ... but, then again, that is conjecture. Without a working model to go with, anything is possible.

In the meantime, the pounding mirror of the α580 maybe the more reliable of the two currently being produced. The α700's 5-fps was always impressive ... and it is 4-years old, now. You might be able to find one for a bit less than the other two ... to hold you over.

The ISO on the α580 would be the tie-breaker, in my estimation, for still shots.
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:53 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
The α700's 5-fps was always impressive ... and it is 4-years old, now.
More like 3 years.

It was first announced in September 2007, and the first shipments didn't start until later that month.

I've got one of the first production run A700's (likely the 198th made for the U.S. Market, judging by it's serial number), received near the end of September 2007.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:15 AM   #33
Administrator

DonSchap

P.S.

I see this is your first post here. So, Welcome to the Steve's.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:21 AM   #34

I didn't want to get into time on the Minolta drawing board, but okay.

I still cannot believe my α850 is only just a year old. Feels like three.

I'm checking that serial ... 2606 on my α700 ... I advanced ordered one and got it Sept 25th, 2007

Other than the "thumbwheel issue", which I had repaired, it has been and still is a dandy camera.

Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can lend a hand ... it has been an uphill struggle with SONY ... and still is, for the advanced users.

Last edited by DonSchap; Oct 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:32 AM   #35
Administrator

You may have received yours a day sooner than I did, as it looks like mine shipped (2nd day air) on 09/24/07. I ended up paying over $1400 for it after shipping (body only) at the time. But, I was anxious to get one, after one of Steve's staff members was to test the A700 a bit earlier and gave me some very positive feedback about it. LOL

Mine still works fine.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:39 AM   #36

Default When deception plays a role ...

I do not know if this was brought up, recently, and it is kind of controversial, but it is my understanding that the only reason the α850 operates at 3-fps is because SONY "dumbed-down" the firmware on it. It is still quite capable of 5-fps operation, if the α900 firmware is added back into it.

We can only hope this will be done with future improvements in the firmware. I would like that aspect back in my DSLR. Slow is no-go.

BTW: Is there a reason no one seems to have a "signature" showing?

Last edited by DonSchap; Oct 23, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:49 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
...it has been an uphill struggle with SONY ... and still is, for the advanced users.
Well... on the surface, there seems to be some evidence that suggests Sony may have had an A700 replacement ready a long time ago, and scrapped the project before it went into production.

But, they're a very innovative company and it does make sense from a financial perspective to build up their base first (entry level models), since those are the hottest sellers.

Of course, some of those buyers are going to want more advanced replacements at some point (as do many A700 owners). I'm sure Sony is well aware of that, so they'll come in time.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:53 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
BTW: Is there a reason no one seems to have a "signature" showing?
It's a profile option.

Go to your User Control Panel (the User CP choice you'll see at the top of each forums page here), then scroll down the the "Settings and Options" section you'll see on the left side of the page and click on the "Edit Options" link.

When you get to that page, scroll down to the "Thread Display Options" section. Check the box for "Show Signatures"

Then, make sure to use the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.

Here's a direct link to the Edit Options page you can use:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pr...do=editoptions
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:07 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
I do not know if this was brought up, recently, and it is kind of controversial, but it is my understanding that the only reason the α850 operates at 3-fps is because SONY "dumbed-down" the firmware on it. It is still quite capable of 5-fps operation, if the α900 firmware is added back into it.

We can only hope this will be done with future improvements in the firmware. I would like that aspect back in my DSLR. Slow is no-go.
Nah.. I haven't seen it brought up. But, that wouldn't surprise me.

It's not unusual for manufacturers to reuse firmware from higher end models, and limit some functionality to better distinguish product differences. I can well remember the controversy over the Canon Digital Rebel when it was introduced, when users figured out that it had more functionality in firmware than Canon allowed (probably to keep from hurting EOS-10D sales), and hacked firmware did end up being published for it to "unlock" some features.

After all, if the A850 did everything you can get in the A900, it could hurt sales (and the likely profit increase Sony would have realized from the higher priced A900). ;-)

So, I wouldn't "hold my breath" expecting to see a faster frame rate from the A850 (at least not unless someone releases a "hacked" firmware version for it).
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:36 AM   #40

Well, I still believe SONY should have just lowered the price of the α900, but, of course, that would have really inflamed those folks who initially PAID OUT the $2999.99 it was launched at. It got down to $2699.99 ... but, the APS-C bunch still would not make the leap. I suppose it was not unlike the $1399.99 you and I paid out for the initial crop of α700. Once we had gotten nipped for that one ... not twice.

I understand and still think that price was too ambitious for the market of REAL users. $1999.99 was the winner. I did try to tell them ... I swear.
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Oct 23, 2010 at 11:56 AM.