Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:47 AM   #41

I only mention the k-x when some one ask about it, or if they are on a budget that wants a feature pack entry level dslr. But I also mention the A500 when it fits the budget and if HD is not important. I also mention the A550 which is another good sony camera worth a looking. So no I am not a pentax fan club. Just giving camera that work with needs and budget.

Remember I shoot a canon, and if the price range of a poster is in the range of a t2i or t1i, then the canon has it's advantage.

As the op is interested in the A55, I stay with the subject. I've seen the halfpipe they set up in a german mag that covered photo op. It played into the sony's strengths. Did not need to track to far, keep the area of the action confined. And it will do a nice job. That is why at the alvin alley promo, all the shots were of the dancers in one area, not jumps all over the practice floor.

I am not saying it is a bad camera, action shooting where you need to track the subject is not it's strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You're not limited to 3fps when shooting action. I see that kind of thing posted often.

I've seen comments from respected reviewers that have used the camera that will tell you that with a bit of practice, the system can work well for capturing action.

Just because you see a stream of photos already taken in the LCD with a small delay in 10fps drive mode, doesn't mean it can't work if you practice your technique using this system some.

There are very few interchangeable lens cameras on the market capable of that kind of frame rate. One is the Nikon D3s (with a body only price of around $5000 at authorized dealers), and the other is the Canon EOS-1D Mk IV (with a body only price of almost $5000).

The Sony A55 is selling for $799 body only. Big difference.

So, sure, it may not be able to maintain the performance you'd get with a camera costing 6 times as much, and some reviewers have noted a much higher "hit rate" using it's 6fps drive mode. But, for it's price point, if you need a camera capable of faster frame rates for shooting action, you could learn to get used to it's EVF behavior if you're on a budget, as nothing else in it's price range is going to match it. ;-)

Even some Pentax fans (since I see you promoting the K-x pretty often here) will admit that it's quite capable. For example, here's a Pentax enthusiast mentioning this about it compared to the K7 (Sony had a half pipe with bikes setup to show how well the newer models work at Photokina):

"..In the end, the number of usable photos per half pipe turn may have been twice in Sony's advantage..."

http://www.falklumo.com/en/k5preview.html

There are pros and cons to any approach. But, for action, nothing in it's price range (body list price of $799) comes close to what it's capable of.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I am not saying it is a bad camera, action shooting where you need to track the subject is not it's strength.
Some can do birding with it fine

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=36754657
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:16 AM   #43

Some can, and when you thrown 10fps at a target, you will get a percentage worth keeping. But I have not yet seen a session of shots with a short zoom. There is allot of dpr guys that have bigma and other lenses that try to shoot a session of shots and have fail more then they succeed in the closer ranges. But the overall consensus form all the review sources, online and print that tracking and panning is really difficult. Also some are better at adopting to different system, and have different ways of dealing with different equipment. Some are more suited to deal with different things. Like some like ergo of a canon vs the ergo of a nikon.

I can take bif with a canon ef-s 55-250 and can get some good results. But in general it is still not a good action lens. Bif is about consistency. The shorter range and the slower AF speed, Bif's are not the ef-s 55-250 strength. And considering that shooting a bird flying close up the lens will have to be pan and track quicker then at a longer distance. The ef-s55-250 is not a great bif lens. The A55 is overall a good camera, certain things are not its strength. And high action is not it, so shooting it with a bigma would allow you not to have to as quicking pan or tracking because of the distance between the camera and bif's. Try to do it with a 50-200 or a 75-300 it will be way more difficult for you try to keep the bird within the whole frame.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 29, 2010 at 2:32 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:10 AM   #44

I shoot BIF, primarily soaring raptors, with a Tokina 100-300mm f/4.0, and 300mm is barely long enough. If you want to shoot anything smaller, you'll definately need something longer.

Also, when shooting at high frame rates, the EVF and the 'Live View' display on the Sony A33/A55 display the last frame captured, not the actual scene. Raptors don't change direction very much, but smaller birds do, so you may have trouble tracking smaller birds.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:22 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I shoot BIF, primarily soaring raptors, with a Tokina 100-300mm f/4.0, and 300mm is barely long enough. If you want to shoot anything smaller, you'll definately need something longer.

Also, when shooting at high frame rates, the EVF and the 'Live View' display on the Sony A33/A55 display the last frame captured, not the actual scene. Raptors don't change direction very much, but smaller birds do, so you may have trouble tracking smaller birds.
the last frame is only 1/10 seconds behind with 10 fps

Sony SLT A55 10 fps demonstration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8b7isSlnhQ
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:25 AM   #46

did you read the comments on that youtube video. I can get results with a m4/3 if I was having to track that slow.

But the camera is fast, and the full auto 10fps do a nice job with getting shots in focus.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 29, 2010 at 3:21 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:34 AM   #47

The longer lens is always helpful with smaller bif's but depending on how close your are, a 200-250mm can work sometimes. But you are then talking about very fast panning of the camera as they buzz by.

And a 1800 dollar lens is not always in the budget for some.

Quote:

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:44 AM   #48

Small BIF change direction very quickly (primarily, I presume, to avoid capture by the soaring raptors I shoot), so if you're panning on a small BIF, you may notice a small change in the bird's position within an image that's "only 1/10 seconds" old, but the next image might just be empty sky.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
did you read the comments on that youtube video. I can get results with a m4/3 if I was having to track that slow.

But the camera is fast, and the full auto 10fps do a nice job with getting shots in focus.
Yes, I did. The train is not coming faster than any human.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Small BIF change direction very quickly (primarily, I presume, to avoid capture by the soaring raptors I shoot), so if you're panning on a small BIF, you may notice a small change in the bird's position within an image that's "only 1/10 seconds" old, but the next image might just be empty sky.
And you could lose fast that bird even with OVF. Human reaction time isn't that much faster than 1/10 sec