Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:41 PM   #71

thank you for the responses.

i suppose i have one last question. in the 10fps mode, if the camera were to sacrifice something to get a properly exposed photo, would it sacrifice a fast shutter speed last? that is what i would prefer.

I am now seriously considering returning my k-r and lens's (If i can) and buy the sony a55 with the 18-250 lens, a 50 1.4, and the sigma 70-200 2.8.

Last edited by ewheeler20; Nov 14, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:54 PM   #72

You will have a problem finding a 18-250 for the sony as well as it has been discontinued.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:08 PM   #73
Administrator

From reports I'm seeing so far, it's always going to keep the aperture wide open in 10fps mode, and will increase ISO speed (up to ISO 1600) in order to try and keep shutter speeds at 1/500 second.

But, if you don't have enough light for 1/500 second at ISO 1600 at the widest aperture your lens supports, then it's going to drop slower than that (rather than give you an underexposed image).

I didn't realize you had a K-r (I don't keep up with all of the posts here). Why return a K-r? What is it you find limiting about it? High ISO speed performance is quite good from images I've looked at.

I do know of one A55 owner that also has some Canon gear that did try shooting Basketball with one recently and indicated he preferred the 6fps mode. That makes sense, as you have more control. For example, when I shoot basketball (which isn't very often), I use Manual Exposure (since exposure can vary a lot trying to use any kind of Auto mode). I use ISO 3200 and 1/400 second if shooting at f/2.8 with a custom white balance. That works out about right in the gyms around here.

You couldn't do that using the 10fps mode with the A55 (no way to use manual exposure for more consistent results in indoor lighting, and you'd be stuck with a max ISO of ISO 1600).

Now, if you're shooting College Level games, yes, I'd expect lighting to be brighter. But, personally, I probably wouldn't try to use the A55's 10fps mode shooting that type of sport. We have a few sports shooters (JohnG, and others) that shoot a lot of games. So, perhaps they could chime in as to what to expect.

But, I think you're probably placing too much emphasis on the 10fps part, versus the flexibility you'd have shooting at 6fps (and the K-r can do that). ;-)

It's not uncommon to see someone have buyer's remorse with a new camera model, and then buy a different camera model and feel the same way.

So, I'd figure out what you find limiting about the K-r before jumping out in a totally different direction (when you may run into problems using a different system). Any new camera takes some getting used to, and something like indoor sports is very demanding on both the equipment and the skill level of the photographer. So, a different sysem may not help anything.

The grass can sometimes look greener on the other side of the fence, when it can be brown on both sides.

There are pros and cons to any of them. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:09 PM   #74

hi shoturtle. I thought i'd hear from you

everywhere i have seen the lens, it has been in stock.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SAL18250-.../dp/B000VUFDPG
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:15 PM   #75

Jim, the 10fps is pretty compelling to me, but the continues focusing is even more so. The single focus with a moving subject has a lot of draw backs on the k-r. Also, the "translucent" mirror technology has me intrigued for using the live view function when doing macro shots. Also, the movable screen is sorta neat, lol.

I really do love the k-r, but the a55 has has everything i'd want on the k-r and then some. Sure the terrible battery is a draw back, but i feel i can get over than by having 3-4 batteries on hand (they are pretty darn small after all).

i think i am still in the 2 week return bubble, so i am just reassessing all my options again.

Last edited by ewheeler20; Nov 14, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:19 PM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
You will have a problem finding a 18-250 for the sony as well as it has been discontinued.
Not that I'm aware of.

I think the Tamron 18-250mm has been discontinued now that they're shipping the newer 18-270mm VC version (which is also available for Sony dSLR models).

But, AFAIK, Sony's version of the 18-250mm has not been discontinued (and it's still available at sonystyle.com and on dealer shelves).

Now, the Sony version is slightly more expensive than the Tamron 18-250mm. But, it does have some differences. For example, better external build quality, rounded aperture blades, different optical coatings, as well as being geared for faster Autofocus compared to the Tamron. For example, the Tamron takes 21 screw turns to go from the closet focus distance to infinity, and the Sony version only takes 12 screw turns (it's designed to focus faster).
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:22 PM   #77

If you are getting serious into sport photography, canon or nikon is what you really want to get for the AF system. The sony will not match the canon or nikon. And you will want control over your shot. Letting the camera pick everything seems running backwards for a sport photographer.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:23 PM   #78

I was think of the tamron, not the sony. Guess the sony is a decent lens as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
hi shoturtle. I thought i'd hear from you

everywhere i have seen the lens, it has been in stock.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SAL18250-.../dp/B000VUFDPG
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:30 PM   #79
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
...The single focus with a moving subject has a lot of draw backs on the k-r.
I'm not sure I follow you. What do you mean by "single focus"?

The K-r has an AF-C mode that should be using all available AF points to try and track a moving subject and the viewfinder now has the ability to show you active AF points (a feature that was missing on the K-x).
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:40 PM   #80

hmm, maybe i am missing a feature of my own camera (it wouldn't surprise me)?

on the k-r, it is my understanding that when in continues shooting mode (at 6fps), i depress the shutter half way, and it will focus on the subject. If that subject moves towards or away from the camera, it will not re-focus unless i re-depress the shutter button again. Am i correct?

My understanding on the a55 in the 10fps mode is that if i depress the shutter half way, it will focus on the subject, and if the subject moves towards or away from the camera, it will continually refocus on that same subject. to me, that seems like a huge benefit.