Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:42 PM   #81

no if you are in continuous focus, the k-r should continue to focus if the subject moves. Also you should be in hi burst rate also. All the dslr are the same way. Your camera has A-AF, S-AF and C-AF.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:46 PM   #82

huh... i think i will have to test out the C-AF on the k-r tomorrow. If that is the case, i probably wont get the a55, lol.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:47 PM   #83
Administrator

Drive mode and AF mode are two different things. If you set both your drive mode and AF mode to continuous, then the AF system should track a moving subject for you with a half press, and continue to track your subject when you press it the rest of the way down while it's taking photos (or that's the way most other systems work, and I'd be very surprised if the K-r didn't work the same way).

Even if you've got drive mode set to Single Shot, if you set AF to Continuous, it should track a moving subject while the shutter button is half pressed. But, I'm not a Pentax shooter, so I'd check your manual for a description of how the K-r's AF modes work.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:52 PM   #84

AF-C works the way you would expect jim, like a canon AI Servo,
AF-S is single shot on the canon
AF-A is AI servo where the camera determine when to refocus

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:59 PM   #85

holy crap! i just realized in the settings that it was set to AF-A, and not AF-C... holy crap. it is doing what i want it to do now! lol! i am very happy. It is like i just bought a new camera...

... oh right, i did.

thanks for all the help! i'll stick with the K-R!

(I am so easily amused)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:59 PM   #86
Administrator

Yep, same way as most other systems work (only you normally see the 3 main modes referred to as AF-C, AF-A and AF-S (AF as the prefix versus suffix).
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:02 PM   #87
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
holy crap! i just realized in the settings that it was set to AF-A, and not AF-C... holy crap. it is doing what i want it to do now! lol! i am very happy. It is like i just bought a new camera.
Do you mean it was set to AF-A or AF-S?

AF-A should also track for you with most systems, but AF-S won't.

With most Sony systems, AF-A means that it will start tracking when it detects any subject movement (basically switching from single shot autofocus to continuous autofocus automatically). But, I don't shoot Pentax, so it may be designed differently.

P.S.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, most systems work better with AF-C if you know your subject is moving (due to the time a camera takes to switch into tracking mode, based on most user reports I've seen).
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:15 PM   #88

yeah, it was in AF-A. it usually not tracking, in the tests that i did, but i didn't even think that it was an option to continually focus, so i wasn't really looking for it in the tests. I did notice every so often it would refocus without me re-depressing the shutter, but i just thought it was a glitch or something (i can be an idiot sometimes).

Just doing some quickie testing a few minutes ago, the only draw back i see is that in AF-C, if i center focus (I usually have the camera to center focus, instead of 9/11 AF points) and than recompose, I cant do that anymore. I would have to focus, then set it to manual focus, then i could recompose.

thanks for all the help guys.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:28 PM   #89
Administrator

Let us know how it works out. Again, there are pros and cons to any of them.

BTW, here's a very good read for a new dSLR owner. Most of the time, problems are caused by something a user is or is not doing due to a lack of understanding of how something works. You'll probably get a chuckle out of the paragraph talking about the left hand path (returning the camera for the next better one, etc., only to have the same types of issues). :-)

Don't Be A Bozo by Petteri Sulonen
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:04 AM   #90

If you are not shooting action us AF-S,that way you can center focus. And recompose. All AF-C will not let you recompose. You need to use the right mode base on what you are shooting.