Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:52 PM   #1

Default Sony for sale ?

I heard on the news last night that Apple might be buying out Sony ! Has anybody else heard this? I wonder how it would effect the Sony camera business. Thoughts ?
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:13 PM   #2

Extremely unlikely. Sony and Apple compete on way to many fronts for it to be profitable. Also, Sony is an international corporation, worth way more that Apple.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:30 PM   #3

That's exactly what I was just about to type TCav. Plus Sony has different objectives with products, like how the Vaio is more of a budget brand, Walkman is for audiophiles, Playstation for hardcore gamers; more well established niches.
The only reason Apple would do that is to immediately impose themselves on the huge range of business Sony is in, and for the basic tech knowledge to build on, IMO. They would have to rebuild from the ground up to keep their image as it is.
But with the money Apple has now I would guess that they would just a soon spend it on developing their own products as they would buying a company. Imagine what an Apple camera would be like...

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:42 AM   #4

Tcav, according to the papers, Apple's worth is around 200 Billion and Sony around 40. And yeah, I wonder what kind of camera Apple would put out.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:53 AM   #5

I can see Apple trying to buy Pentax, which has been in muddy waters for years, or even Olympus. But Sony? Not a chance in a million (or billion or even trillion). Sony is a huge (and sound) corporation and their camera division is doing very well. When they first introduced the Alpha A100, no one took them seriously. Today (only a few years later), they've grown their market share significantly and technologically speaking, they are ahead of Nikon and Canon already.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:15 AM   #6

I agree, it would make more sense for Apple to buy according to specific division, so buying Pentax would allow Apple to revamp the line and enter photography, but still have the expertise of the Pentax engineers. (we'd see more colorful cameras like the kx)
But apparently Apple has around 50bil right now to spend, and sony is valued at a bit less than that. So it isn't impossible. Also note Tulio that this doesn't apply to just cameras - if apple bought Sony they'd have influence in pretty much everything, from video cameras to blu ray to movie production... It's hard to build that wide range from the ground up, while if they bought Sony then it would be instant influence in pretty much all consumer electronics.

I would say that they would instead aquire a specific company according to the fields they want to enter, and then revamp the line to match apple mantra. I think most online folk are agreeing that a sony buy won't happen.

An apple camera: hmm, a lot more expensive than competition, with less features, but with ultimate build quality and really good auto/jpg ability. Probably some useful feature that no one else has, like a sensor wiper, that would give fanboys a reason preach it. I could see them going SLT in all levels of camera, but they would still have a good OVF 7 level and FF cameras for the pros.
That was fun.

Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donp View Post
Tcav, according to the papers, Apple's worth is around 200 Billion and Sony around 40. And yeah, I wonder what kind of camera Apple would put out.
No. As of FY2009, Apple's total assets are $47.50 billion, and their total equity is $31.64 billion. For FY2010, Sony's total assets are $137.694 billion and their total equity is $31.741 billion.

Sony could buy Apple by selling off a division or two. Apple can't do anything of the sort.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:39 PM   #8
NHL

I'm afraid Donp is right.
AAPL market cap is much larger than SNE (in fact AAPL just surpassed MSFT):
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=AAPL+Key+Statistics
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=SNE+Key+Statistics

With regards to the buy out, it all started here over the weekend:
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...ally&x=48&y=11
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:55 PM   #9

Yes, Apple just passed Microsoft as largest tech comapany. As far as I have read, sony is valued at 40bil and Apple has 45bil to spend.

Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:56 PM   #10

Give or take a few billion on both accounts.