Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:55 PM   #1

Default 5D problem. Is this a warranty issue?

I just got my 5D back from a family member who has had it for 4 months. Unfortunately it does not work now. Here's the problem.

I charge the battery and install it. Next install a CF card. Now I turn it on and it makes a clicking noise (about 6 clicks) immediately after switching on. I press shutter button and any lens that is attached will auto focus as normal but it will not take a pic.

I went in menu and released the shutter lock for no card and no lens. The priority set up set to release (not AF). Still nothing.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Is this a warranty issue?

Thanks for any replies.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:11 PM   #2

Did you try a factory reset?

If that doesn't work, leave the battery out for 2 days, then try it. Leaving the battery out for two days will cause the internal battery to fully drain, and ANY settings will be lost.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 28, 2010 at 5:13 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3

Hi,
I have a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. The camera starts up and menu screen is visible & functional. The focus, flash, and even the shutter fully work, but the lcd is black upon quick playback & the pictures taken are completely black in the playback mode. It does not seem to be the "first frame black" as some people have diagnosed online because this is happening to ALL the photos taken. May I have anyones opinion on a possible problem and/or a repair cost estimate? I am aware about precision, but $269 when the camera is basically working besides black photos is a bit much.
Aleks89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Administrator

Does it happen in all modes (including the Green Auto position on the mode dial)?

If it works in the Green Auto position and not in other positions, then you probably have a settings issue like trying to use a shutter speed that's too fast for the lighting, aperture and ISO speed you have set, or you're using a -EV setting with Exposure Compensation.

Have you tried another lens on it to make sure it's not a lens issue (for example, the aperture iris stuck closed)?

I'd remount the lens to make sure it's got a good connection, too.

If it doesn't work in the Green Auto position, and it's not a lens issue, then you may have a component failure of some type (main CCD Sensor, break in circuit board, A/D converter, etc.).

You may also want to make sure the mirror is flipping out of the way of the sensor when you press the shutter button, even though you can hear the shutter. You should see a momentary blackout in the viewfinder as the shutter is opening and closing (since the mirror is flipping out of the way so the sensor can see the image).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:10 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. I have been out of town but have an update to this problem.

I tried everything mentioned above plus even a couple of more, nothing worked. I tried the reset under the menu-camera-2-reset but that did not work either.

Then I found the "Reset default" under the menu-wrench-3-Reset default. After simultaneously replacing the battery with a fully recharged one after 2 days, and applying the Reset default it now works again. I can't say for sure if it was one or the other but it works and I'm happy.

Hope this info can help someone who may run into a similar problem.

Now I need to find a rubber eye piece cup that's missing, any suggestions?

Thank You Jim & TCav.

Aleks89

Precision Camera is where I was considering sending my 5D for repair. I was weighing the cost of repair versus the value of the camera. I believe it comes down to how well you have taken care of your camera, and how many shutter actuations you have.
Sorry I can't add anything more then what worked for me.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:43 PM   #6
Administrator

Great (works again).

Rubber eyepiece, huh? I don't even know where my 5D eyepiece is. I removed it years ago so I could get closer to the viewfinder (since I wear glasses). I think it's in a desk drawer, but I wouldn't swear to it. :-)

Most of the Sony eyepieces will actually fit it (for example, I know that my A700's will slide on (they slide straight up to remove them, and slide back down to install them), since it tried that once before a while back. But, the look may not be exactly right as far as how it covers the eyestart sensors, angle of the edges, thickness of the cup, etc. (it's a slightly different design). You may want to remove your A700 eyepiece and see what you think of one on the 5D, since Sonystyle.com sells the A700 eyepieces online.

If you want one exactly like the original, the official part number for the 5D eyepiece is the Konica Minolta EC-1500. But, I don't see any from a quick google search, except for this vendor in the U.K. that has a listing on Ebay. They do ship to the U.S. from what I see of the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230362632761
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote