Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:55 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs4 View Post
However, I will also say that they did try to sell me more of things I did not need. They had me call them to confirm the order (only to get me on the phone I'm sure) and the tried to sell me tripods, memory cards, more lenses, etc.. Said no to all and eventually he gave up...
Standard Operating Procedure for most of the Brooklyn based shops that advertise lower prices. They're not going to sell a camera at a loss. So, they've got to make a profit somehow. ;-)

Here's a good read on the subject (old article, but the same tactics are still being used, especially with dealers located in the Brooklyn area, where they seem to be able to get away with it):

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed

Quote:
Maybe I'm a lucky one...
Agan, I'd check to see if it's gray market (not intended for sale in the U.S.). One way vendors can sell gear for lower prices is to import cameras that were intended for sale elsewhere (Hong Kong, etc., where English language manuals are available), bypassing the official Sony USA distribution network that's responsible for providing warranty service. Gear like that is often advertised with misleading warranty descriptions (e.g., 1 year USA warranty, when they really mean a store warranty that may not be worth the paper it's written on, since they may not have the equipment, parts, camera manufacturer's proprietary calibration software, and expertise to repair one).

When you buy gray market gear from a dealer that is not an Authorized Sony USA dealer, Sony USA is probably going to refuse to service it (and they can tell if it's gray market by a camera's serial number).

Now, I have seen members report that Sony USA will sell an extended warranty for gray market gear. But, they won't service one for the first year that way.

That's better than some manufacturers. For example, Nikon USA will refuse to service gray market gear, period, in or out of warranty (even if you are willing to pay them for the service), and most lower priced Nikon cameras you see online are gray market. It's a very competitive marketplace, and if a price is lower than you see from everyone else, buyer beware.

IOW, if a price looks too good to be true, it probably is. ;-)

My suggestion... always buy gear from a manufacturer authorized USA dealer (assuming you're in the U.S.), or an authorized dealer for the country you live in. Otherwise, it may be difficullt to get any repairs if something goes wrong.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:40 AM   #12
Administrator

P.S.

If you do have any issues with it later, and Sony USA won't service it under Warranty (which i'd suspect if you're not buying from an Authorized Sony USA Dealer), Precision Camera can probably fix it for you. They do a lot of work for manufacturers like Sony and have the expertise to fix them. . It looks like their current price quote for an A550 is $200.95 now.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/co...ml#post1101802

Chances are, the camera won't need service if you're careful with, provided it works OK out of the box. But, cameras do break from time to time, and personally, I'd pay $200 to Precision before I'd risk shipping one back to a shop in Brooklyn for "warranty" repair. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote