Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1

Default New a500 Locks up/turns off after pushing shutter

Just purchased a new a500 and was excited to receive it via UPS. My problem is that while the camera turns on and seems to function normally, as soon as I push the shutter to take a picture, the camera locks up/turns off. It will not turn on again unless I remove the battery, place it back in the charger and then turn the camera on again (Note: simply removing the battery and reinsering it doesn't work. It must be put back in the charger). The battery meter in the camera shows 100% each time I replace it.

Any ideas on what may be causing this? I bought the camera to use to record my son's sate championship meet this weekend and would be very disappointed if I could not use it.

Could this be a battery problem (note this is the battery that came with the camera body, stock Sony NP-FM500H).

Any help greatly appreciated!
rjacobs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:58 PM   #2

Sounds like what happens with a dead battery...

How long are you charging it...? Make sure you give it a full charge as per instructions...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:09 PM   #3

Does the yellow charging led go off on the charger? I believe i read it for this charger that it is still charging up to an hour after the led goes off.

If this were me and the event was important i'd go buy a spare battery and try that. You'll need one anyway so it's not a waste.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:55 PM   #4

Ebay has some great generic ones (if you get them from a good US seller- make sure it's not HKong) for like $10 and nearly nearly as good as the branded ones.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:33 AM   #5

Battery is fully charged. Shows 100% on the battery meter on the LCD and also the light goes out on the charger. I'm hoping its a bad battery. There's a mall across the street so hopefully I can find a camera store or Best Buy and get one there. Hate to buy onre retail (vs. Amazon or eBay) but no choice at this point if I'm going to get the shots today.

If its not the battery, any other ideas? Thanks for your help...I sincerely appreciate it.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:41 AM   #6
Administrator

Use all dials, switches and buttons, in case one of them isn't making a good electrical connection, or stuck in between positions. That's not uncommon with a brand new camera (as sometimes a bit of oxidation can form, or the contacts have protective coatings on them that will wear off from friction when switches are used).

Have you remounted the lens? Same thing there. You may not have a good electrical connection, and remounting it may help due to contact to contact friction.

Ditto for the memory card. Remove and insert it a few times to make sure it's making a good connection. Try a different one if you have one (sometimes a bad memory card can fail in a way so that it's causing excessive current drain). Ditto for the battery (remove and reinsert it multiple times to help clean any oxidation that may have formed on the contacts).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:53 AM   #7
Administrator

Did you charge the battery overnight when you got it (or at least leave it in the charger for around 8 hours).

I'd suggest doing that with a new battery. Then, remove it and plug it back in again, and let it charge until the light changes again. If you remove a brand new battery before it's fully charged, sometimes it can fool the microprocessor that keeps track of battery charge remaining so that it's giving you a false reading.

Of course, it could also be a defective battery causing the issues.

P.S.

If you have a store nearby with demo models using the same battery, you may want to ask them if you could try one of their batteries in it. That way, you'd narrow the problem down to the camera or the battery.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:24 AM   #8

Default Sent it back....got another a500

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I finally gave up and sent it back to Willoughby's. Found same body on the internet at Best price Electronics for $60.00 less and ordered a replacement. Just came in yesterday and all is well!

Going on a cruise next week and the new camera will be in use. Can't wait!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:28 AM   #9
Administrator

Best Price Electronics, huh?

http://thoughts-of-dave.blogspot.com...onics-aka.html

Was that savings without giving into sales tactics to get you to buy overpriced memory cards, batteries, junk accessories like filters and tripods, extended warranties, etc.; or paying a hefty sum for shippng/insurance?

I'd make sure no unauthorized charges show up on your card. You may also want to check with Sony US to see if it's gray market or not to find out if Sony would honor the warranty for it (they probably won't if it was not intended for sale in the U.S., and they'll be able to tell by the serial number).
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:38 AM   #10

Default Hmmm...maybe I got lucky

Thanks for the warning. I'll heed it for the future.

The good news is I got the camera in good order. I checked my credit card and they only charged what I expected so no overcharge.

That's the good...

However, I will also say that they did try to sell me more of things I did not need. They had me call them to confirm the order (only to get me on the phone I'm sure) and the tried to sell me tripods, memory cards, more lenses, etc.. Said no to all and eventually he gave up. It took awhile for the item to ship but when it did I got it in two days (free UPS 6-9 day ground shipping).

I will keep an eye on my CC for awhile to make sure nothing gets added later but for now, I seem to be OK. Maybe I'm a lucky one...