Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:12 PM   #1

Default Question to A550 users

So I just got my 550 and took some shots with it indoors and out. I notice that the AWB is not quite right, and was wondering if this is usual for this camera or if I just managed to get a diffective unit. My A300 did really good at AWB even in situations with different light sources, but I am finding with this camera that I have to manually set the WB to get more accurate colors. As you can see, the first image is a little too blue and magenta. Any thoughts? I was going to call the store tomorrow but have the feeling I'll end up needing to talk to Sony.
Thanks,
Maggie
Attached Images

Mahgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:54 PM   #2
Administrator

Hey Maggie:

That looks like an outside photo in the lawn. I've noticed no issues with the A550 Auto White Balance shooting in those types of conditions (outdoors in sunlight). But, most cameras will do better using something other than Auto WB indoors in artificial lighting.

Are you sure you had the camera set to Auto WB? If you leave one set to incandescent (tungsten) WB when in sunlight, you'll usually see that type of thing (bluish cast to images).

That subject was not very ideal for a camera to judge WB by either (since there were simply not enough colors in the image, so that the camera could find something white or gray to better estimate lighting temperature).

For better responses, it's usually a good idea to post downsized images that still have the EXIF information in them. That way, members can look for clues as to what may be going wrong with camera settings. ;-)

If not your WB settings, something else may be set wrong causing the issue. For example, your Creative Style Settings (Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset) are designed to emphasize some colors over others, and are individually adjustable for some parameters (saturation, contrast, sharpness). I usually use Standard (or Neutral with models that have that setting), so that I'm not causing artificial looking colors in most conditions I'd shoot in.

My suggestion... reset the camera back to factory defaults. Then, take photos of the same subjects with your A300 and new A550 and see how they compare. You'll find a Reset default choice on the last page of the setup menus (last choice on the A550 menu screen shown below):
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:32 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

I just noticed that you posted this in our Sony Forum (for Point and Shoot models).

So, I've moved this thread down to the Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR Forum, so that it's more likely other Sony A550 owners will see it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:39 PM   #4

Just to make sure there's nothing else going on, I suggest you do a factory reset. Since the camera is brand new, you won't lose anything.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:17 PM   #5

Hello Maggie.

I have the A550 and I would say the White Balance did not act as expected. For lack of a better term it seems overly sensitive. Outside I have not noticed a problem but inside under light with sunlight coming through the windows it can be touchy and the settings I think should give best result does not always do so.

I have a better feel for the camera having used it for a few months and for whatever reason I do not seem to be having the issue. If you use your Live View you can play with the different settings and see the results of your changes.

This is my first DSLR so I have nothing to compare to but I will say that it does not necessarily work as I thought it should. If I get my exposure correct the White Balance can be set without problem. I flip through the options until I find one that looks correct or I use an 18% Gray card and do a custom that I am able to store.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:04 AM   #6

Ya, sorry about the size of my images; first time I put an image up, I realized after posting that even 'e-mail' size was too big. I'll do some tests tomorrow with more colors and such. I am sure some of it might be me, but even the indoor shots seemed 'purple' and I had to adjust the WB manually (never had to with the 300); I will get some comparatives. I was working on a color assignment for class and just submitted the best example of how off it was.
Mahgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:57 PM   #7

question?
have you checked to see if you have the camera set to vivid color, natural, or light...mine shows a blue hue on red flowers that are set to vivid.
check all your settings, reset like jim suggested.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote