Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Default Lens considerations

It looks like SIGMA may be coming out with a 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS APO HSM in the SONY-mount. I have a feeling if this does happen, we are all going to be looking at a 5-lb (or 80 oz), $3000+ lens, but a lens you can just about replace everything long in your bag with. Yes, it has a 105mm filter ring.

A couple questions to the SONY population ... if such a lens is available:

1. How likely are you to snap one up and use it regularly?
  2. Would a lens this bright solve your basic long range indoor uses?
  3. What lens would you use to cover the 70-120mm gap? (Overlap is fine ... be specific - manuf/type/nomenclature/use)
  4. Would you still consider anything longer than 300mm for "super" long ... or just slap on a SIGMA 1.4x or 2x T/C to get there? You do have a very wide aperture to do this, the hit would be IQ, if anything.
  5. Would you have to get a new, heavier tripod to saddle this baby?
  6. Do you have a sustantial enough flash to support long shots?
  7. Would your "significant other" understand this purchase and not complain? I know ... as if!
  8. Are you ready to accept the demands of such a lens and not dump it six months later?

Just curious ... run it through the meat grinder and speak your mind. This is one special optic. Obviously, it is in the "serious consideration" column.
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Nov 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:28 AM   #2

I'll play along.

1. I am not a fan of jumping into something brand new to the market. I could definitely find a use for such a lens

2. F/2.8 would not bring anything to the party that I do not already have. I have a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 300 f/2.8

3. Currently I have a 17-50 f/2.8 then the gap to the 70-200 and while I have not hit a situation where I could not work with one or the other I have a number of Minolta Maxxum primes that cover any gaps. 24 f/2.8, 50 f/1.7, 85 f/1.4, 90 f/2.8 (Tamron), 135 f/2.8 (not all carried at any one given time) I am using the zooms more but I still hear my father's voice in my head telling my to use primes whenever possible

4. With good light a 1.4x TC comes in handy. Anything longer would probably be some sort of telescope mount for celestial photography

5. Probably

6. I have the Sony HVL-F58AM flash but do not have enough experience with it to know if the range would be an issue

7. My wife just wrote a check for a new Jag she had always wanted so if I had a use for a new lens I could buy one

8. Using big lenses can present issues but for something I use it is more a matter of just suck it up and deal with it. We are lucky here at Steve's in that those who have gone before are willing to give pointers and gear recommendations to make life easier for us newbies.

I could see a use for this lens but it is not something I would rush out and buy

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:25 AM   #3

1. No, to heavy to use regularly
2. Yes
3. one of three I have in that zoom range. 70-200G, 70-400G, 55-200SAM. Edit. I forgot to add my Sony 18-250 thats been away for a few months so make that four.
4. 70-400G
5. No
6. With a HVL-F58, HVL-F42, and a KM 5600 I hope so.
7. NO!
8. No, I have two big lenses now and before leaving the house I always have to give special thought about carrying, hauling and shooting with the big guys.

Sounds like a nice lens. At this point with my photography I'm really liken the small lenses more then the big ones. But, sometimes there's just no substitute for what the big ones can give you.

Last edited by lomitamike; Nov 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:03 PM   #4

Default Deciding option$ ...

My biggest concern was the SONY 300mm f/2.8 G SSM. Call me "shortsighted", but I just cannot see dropping $6000 for that lens.

If I can get a terrific zoom 120-300mm f/2.8 ... for half the price? My leanings are for the SIGMA and it is probably what will wind up in my bag 'o glass. It weighs no more than the 300mm f/2.8 prime, so that's a wash. There is no weight advantage. It is at least flexible in a field shot. No lens changes. I don't know ... it seems like a "no-brainer" choice. You would have to do a heck of a sales job on me to go with the SONY Prime. Perhaps throw in a new full frame camera.
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Nov 8, 2010 at 9:09 PM.
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:09 PM   #5

First of all this is based on if I was still using my Sony D-SLR which I don't because of past issues, now using Fuji HS10. I loved the Sony D_SLR I was using until it got focusing errors etc from rugged use, water issues etc

1. No its not wide enough on the wide end for my needs

2. Yes for the most part

3. something in the 18 - 135mm range would be needed to cover the gap

4. I'd consider something longer vs a TC as with a TC you use a few stops of light which can be a problem in low light uses.

5. I would have to get a tripod for sure to use a 5lb lens and that would not be covenant for the way I work

6. I can use a hot shoe flash as needed

7. I'm not married so this is not an issue... but I shoot so much it might be justified

8. Good question if its too heavy like 5lbs it would not get used much and might end up on the floor or the spare camera bag in the closet and not on my shoulder or camera

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:48 PM   #6

"If I can get a terrific zoom 120-300mm f/2.8 ... for half the price?"

For the time being ie: until we determine it is to our best advantage financially. Sigma states no plans to do an non os of this lens. Bummer really as I would probably buy one. "Keep Those Cards and Letters Coming" it will show up sooner than later

If the price of the Sony G lens bothers you buy the Minolta at half the price. You give the impression you are ready to purchase but undecided.

While I like the thought process of the benefits I have to ask "what's your point?". It is a wish list lens.

I am not trying to rain on your parade I just do not understand

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote