Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:41 AM   #11

I did not suggest a second hand unit as replacement but a new A230 (use the repair money toward it). I'm always weary about repairs (even if they are performed by the manufacturer). A slightly used A200 would be a better option (IMO). But, you'll always take the chance. How many pictures have you taken with your A200? That should also be taken into consideration.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:01 AM   #12

Woah, the a500 body is only $500 and the a550 body is $550 on amazon. That pretty much puts replacement out of the question. That's a lot of money, but I'd gladly pay more for those since the a2/3xx ISO performance alone isn't too good and makes the a5xx worth the extra $200.
Yes, I know that you did not say second hand. That would be all I would consider (since a5xx are worth the extra buying new). Sorry for the confusion.
I've probably taken about 5-6k pics over the past year. Not a whole lot by any means considering it should last up to 50k at least.

Oh, and note I never dropped it or anything. I didn't necessarily baby it all the time, but I was for the most part very careful.

It did get pretty cold (30 degrees outside) one night recently, which may have led to it, but I did not use it at all at that temp and it was in a camera bag surrounded by clothes in a backpack. And I didn't suddenly heat it; it warmed up along with me as the sun rose (I did snap a few pics then but it was probably 45 by then and I put it away right after). So I don't think that caused it.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:12 AM   #13

Oh and mine was slightly used (less than 1k and mainly studioish stuff) but it obviously didn't work out too well, so I think I'll stay away from those for now if only for peace of mind. Plus to get a similar one on eBay would be around $80-100 more than a repair, although there is an a230 on our craigslist for $150 (but the pic shows no lens cap which may be a bad sign).

And since the a550 could get me much further business wise, I think I'll just live with my a200 for now. Thanks for the help abd suggestions!

Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
Woah, the a500 body is only $500 and the a550 body is $550 on amazon. That pretty much puts replacement out of the question. That's a lot of money, but I'd gladly pay more for those since the a2/3xx ISO performance alone isn't too good and makes the a5xx worth the extra $200.
Yes, I know that you did not say second hand. That would be all I would consider (since a5xx are worth the extra buying new). Sorry for the confusion.
I've probably taken about 5-6k pics over the past year. Not a whole lot by any means considering it should last up to 50k at least.

Oh, and note I never dropped it or anything. I didn't necessarily baby it all the time, but I was for the most part very careful.

It did get pretty cold (30 degrees outside) one night recently, which may have led to it, but I did not use it at all at that temp and it was in a camera bag surrounded by clothes in a backpack. And I didn't suddenly heat it; it warmed up along with me as the sun rose (I did snap a few pics then but it was probably 45 by then and I put it away right after). So I don't think that caused it.
Well, if you feel that the A230/A280/A330/A380 are not better than the A200, and you can't afford the A500 (body only is going for $479) then you best bet is indeed to get your A200 fix or leave it as is as long as the problem is not affecting IQ.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:33 AM   #15

I may be able to get the a500 for christmas. Maybe.
And note that I do think the a2xx/a3xx are better (well, I think the a200 is better than the a230 and I love the a3xx screen) but I really don't think that they are worth the extra, especially if I plan to get a a500 eventually. So yea, I'll probably either live with it or upgrade. Thanks again Tulio!