Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:54 PM   #1

Default SSS dead?

Arrgh I hate this.
Today, randomly, when I turned on my camera, I got about 1 second of vibrating, just like when you turn off the camera, except longer. According to my online research, it appears that the stabilization is messed up. However, I don't notice a significant offset of the picture vs viewfinder (I used a tripod to make sure), and the stabilization appears to work normally (with the same signals etc).
The only thing that worries me is the vibrating beforehand. I guess it's the cleaning mode, since it is obviously changed from its normal state. And it does stop if I focus right away.
I do recall this may have happened once before, but went away after a restart.
And yes I tried different lenses and batteries, but to no avail.

So should I be worried about this? If it has no affect on my pictures that is. Could I just live with it?

Otherwise, what would a cheap repair place be? I've heard it can cost up to $280 for a repair, and I could nearly get a refurb for that much.

Oh, and it only has been a day, so maybe (hopefully) it will go away....

Thankfully Christmas is coming up. Ugh, the though of spending money on this when I could be getting glass makes me annoyed. I've only had it about a year (no warranty though) so it just gives me a sick feeling in my stomach. It's not like I make much money with this hobby, and it's darn expensive and unreliable. I wish I decided to collect nails or something.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:02 PM   #2

Well, I just checked it again and now the SSS is flashing all solid. I guess this means my camera is officially broken. Shoot. I guess I'll just have to make do with it now till I can find a replacement. This is what I dreaded would happen...

Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:36 PM   #3
Administrator

$160.95 is what Precision is showing to repair one to factory specs now.

http://www.precisioncamera.com/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:54 PM   #4

what happens if you turn it off? after all, millions of great photos have been taken without stabilization. and i'm not sure if this would work, but maybe you could just start buying lenses with os.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:53 AM   #5

Just have the camera serviced (or, depending on the cost of the repair, use the $$$ toward a replacement unit). That's what I would do. BTW, what camera is it?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:52 AM   #6
Administrator

It's a Sony A200. See this page of his blog:

http://www.snapoftheshutter.com/bio/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:41 AM   #7

Thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner (busy weekend...)
Yes it's a Sony a200. Still having the same problem, but I've pretty much resigned to it. I've done a lot of testing, and there is very little if any sensor shift at all, so I pretty much just have an unstabilized camera right now.
Frank: the the SSS has failed, and will not turn off or on. I am leaving it switched off, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.
Tulio: At this point I'm going to live with it, since I would rather just put the money for repairs toward an a5xx or axx. If the sensor seriously becomes misaligned (or something else fails) in the next year or two, I'll probably will repair it (that price great Jim; thanks for the link).
And rationalizing, this could be a blessing in disguise. I can work on MY in-body stabilization, and become a better photographer.
And Frank, I realize that most pictures are taken unstabilized, I just was kinda gloomy about it all (it didn't help that I was feeling sick/tired), plus I was worried my camera was broken after only a year, etc. But really, it isn't even that bad; I just have to work harder with low light pictures (and it's not like the stabilization helps with moving objects); plus the repair would be a lot cheaper than I thought. Thinking about it, I kind of leaned on the stabilization, which isn't a good thing. So in conclusion, this may actually be a good thing. Plus it will be an excuse to upgrade.
Thanks again guys!

Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
... I just was kinda gloomy about it all ...
oh i'd feel bad too. but i think you're smart to keep the repair cost to put towards an upgrade down the road. as tough as it feels, these cameras are consumables now.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It's a Sony A200. See this page of his blog:

http://www.snapoftheshutter.com/bio/
I don't believe it's worth spending $160+ fixing it. The A200 is the bottom of the Alpha line (and it has been discontinued for a while) and as such, it's outdated. I'd use the money toward a new body (A280 or A380).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:30 AM   #10

Yea, at this point I'll save the money for an upgrade/glass/flash.
Tulio, I have to say I really like the a200 better than the a230/a290, even if it doesn't perform quite as well (I know it's on par with the a230), and I'd rather pay for a repair than a second hand 230/290 for the same price. I don't think the LView is that important either (handy though) so I'll really try to get this to last till I can get an a5xx.