Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:47 PM   #1

Default Lens vs In Body IS

Does anyone know which is more effective - the Sony A33 in body SteadyShot or the Sigma 18-250 in lens stabilization?

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:01 PM   #2

Flip a coin.

But don't use both; they'll overcompensate.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:03 PM   #3

from having a ibis camera with OIS lenses, the OIS of the lens does a better job at the longer ranges. can not tell the difference under 100mm.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:51 PM   #4

Different lenses and different bodies are different. You can't make a generalization about all image stabilization systems based on one lens from one manufacturer and one body from another manufacturer.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:58 PM   #5

I have shot OIS lenses on a oly, and the longer the range, the lenses IS do take and advantage after 100mm. I have shot the pentax with the lens the OP mention, and again the lens has the advantage after 100mm.

But the advantage the lens had was tiny with the Olympus. But the lens IS does seem to have a slight lead at longer ranges. But not enough to make a whole allot of difference.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:51 PM   #6

Since we're spliting hairs, Pentax is generally believed to have the weakest IS. And the OP was talking about a Sony.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:32 PM   #7

But olympus is know for having a very good IBIS. Just as good as the sony form many accounts. And still a OIS lens does edge it out at the longer ranges.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:48 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Does anyone know which is more effective - the Sony A33 in body SteadyShot or the Sigma 18-250 in lens stabilization?
Probably the Sony's body based stabilization unless the OS in the 18-250mm works better than in the Sigma 50-200mm, or the A33 stabilization is different compared to some of the other Sony models.

Amateur Photographer Magazine had an article in their January 21, 2010 issue with tests of stabilization systems using a Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS lens on more than one camera, and a Sony A550 body using that lens was able to outperform it using the camera body versus lens based stabilization. Of course, a different lens may have different characteristics.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:42 AM   #9
Administrator

Here's a post in a thread on the topic:
http://forums.dpreview.com/...forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=34339511

It looks like Sony's SSS may be better than the IS in some Canon lenses, too.

For example, dpreview.com's test of the A550 with it's 18-55mm kit lens showed that 70% of it's shots were still sharp at 1/15 second on the 55mm end of the Sony 18-55mm kit lens, and roughly 60% were still sharp at 1/6 second, while still able to get 30% of it's photos sharp all the way down to 1/4 second.

Yet, if you look under their lens reviews for the Canon 18-55mm IS lens, it was down to 60% of it's photos in the sharp category on the long end of the lens by the time you got to 1/13 second, and down to around 20% of it's photos in the sharp category at 1/6 second (where the Sony A550 still had 60% of it's photos in the sharp category). They didn't test it at slower shutter speeds (or if they did, they didn't publish the results).

IOW, the Sony A550 still had more photos in the sharp category at both 1/8 second and 1/4 second compared to Canon 18-55mm IS lens at 1/13 second (the Sony in body system in models like the A550 using a 18-55mm kit lens is more than a stop better than the Canon 18-55mm lens with IS built into it from tests I've seen). Both of these systems (Canon lens based stabilization, and Sony body based stabilization) outperformed the Pentax SR body based system by a pretty good margin in more than one test (tests done by Amateur Photographer Magazine and stabilization tests performed by dpreview.com in their camera/lens reviews).

But, again, different lenses may have different characteristics.

Personally, if I were going to buy an 18-250mm lens, I'd probably lean towards the Sony model.

The Sony version is slightly more expensive than the Tamron 18-250mm. But, it does have some differences. For example, external build quality, rounded aperture blades, different optical coatings, as well as being geared for faster Autofocus compared to the Tamron. For example, the Tamron takes 21 focus screw turns to go from the closet focus distance to infinity, and the Sony version only takes 12 screw turns (it's designed to focus faster).

But, then again, the Sigma you're looking at is an HSM lens, which means it can probably be used with models like the NEX-3 or NEX-5 via the optional Sony A Mount lens to E Mount body adapter and still give you Autofocus (as do Sony SAM and SSM lenses with the latest lens adapter firmware).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:41 AM   #10

I tried the Sony 18-250 but I need to send it back. It has quite a noticeable blur area on the right hand side when using "shutter" mode in about 50% of the pictures. I think it has a focusing problem.
I really haven't done any real in depth trials on the lens or body stabilization, both seem to work quite well. I did seem to notice that using the lens IS in the Sigma 18-250 that the battery seemed to drain faster. So I wonder is the lens IS uses more power than in body IS.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote