Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:54 PM   #1

Default tabletop setup

I posted this quickie snapshot in a tabletop tripod thread in the Pentax DSLR forum where a couple of posters (plus myself) were lamenting that Pentax has yet to add a fold out LCD screen, and thought some of the Sony group might be interested in seeing the setup. The tripod is a Vanguard VS-23, and the camera a Sony a550 equipped with an accessory LCD hood sold for the a550, plus a magnifying eyepiece (sold for the a350) and a third party hotshoe bubble level - makes quite a workable outfit for indoor tabletop or outdoor ground-level work. The compact lightweight folding tripod is a great value at $20 - $25 (Vanguard is an American company, but - no surprise - the tripod is made in China).

Name:  IMGP1197.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  67.2 KB

Last edited by penolta; Nov 30, 2010 at 4:55 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:27 AM   #2

Very interesting setup. I have no doubt that it works very well.

Quick question though. What happens if you adjust the head so the camera is vertical? It seems to me that, with the short legs and especially with the vertical grip, it would be quite unsteady if it stayed up at all. Is that right?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:40 AM   #3

oh, i'd think it would tip. i wish these consumer cameras would have a tripod screw mount on the side too. wouldn't that be great!
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Very interesting setup. I have no doubt that it works very well.

Quick question though. What happens if you adjust the head so the camera is vertical? It seems to me that, with the short legs and especially with the vertical grip, it would be quite unsteady if it stayed up at all. Is that right?
It only looks like it flips - there is no way to turn it vertically. They might have one that does, but it would be one of the more expensive ones - Vanguard has an extensive line of tabletop tripods, some of them pretty expensive. Adorama has a long list of them.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 1:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
oh, i'd think it would tip. i wish these consumer cameras would have a tripod screw mount on the side too. wouldn't that be great!
There are some Chinese third party vertical grips that do, but I have no idea of their quality.