Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:01 AM   #1

Default Sigma 70 or 105 Macro???

I'm looking for a good macro lens and I have read good things about the Sigma 70 and Sigma 105 macro lens. Most of the info I've read comes from Dyxum.com.

Has anyone had any experience with either lens?

From what I gather the 105mm macro is the better one for taking pictures of insects and flowers due to the working distance. That is mainly what I want to use it for.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:51 AM   #2

A longer focal length will enable you to shoot insects without frightening them away very often. In fact, if you'll be shooting bees, wasps, or hornets, you might want to consider the Sigma 150/2.8 or even the Tamron 180/3.5.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:13 PM   #3

I rarely use my 50mm macro lens. If I am shooting small items in my table top light box I will use the 50 mm but for general use I have always preferred having a longer working distance. (the 50 mm f/1.7 excepted of course)

I cannot speak to the Sigma lenses you mention but recently replaced a well past its prime Minolta 100 mm macro with a 90mm Tamron and have been quite happy with the lens.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:20 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The Sigma 70mm is one of the sharpest lenses around..... seriously it is top notch, but as mentioned you might want more range. I have the Sigma 105 and it's great, you are still only working a couple of inches from the subject though for 1:1 macro, the more focal length you have the better it gets in terms of working distance but the price jumps up quite a bit.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:28 PM   #5

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.
I've decided to go for the Sigma 105. After much reading I think it will be better suited to the type of pictures I want to take - like Mark stated, it will give me a bit more working distance. Now I just have to learn how to use.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote