Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:08 AM   #1

Default a55 scene selections

It works! The a55 sunset scene worked. Nothing special but nice to see the camera doing all the work.
Attached Images

ozboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:12 AM   #2

Heres an example of the twilight scene at work. This photo was taken in a hurry about 7:45 PM in sydney on the basis that the kookaburra wasn't going to sit around all evening waiting for me to think about depth of field, nor give me time to put on a longer lens.

The twilight scene setting did a good job of the exposure, in my opinion. Another tick for early experiences with the A55
Attached Images

Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:16 AM   #3

On the other hand people are my main interest so here's an early attempt at a fashion shot. Composed in a hurry and it shows, as the hat is too far down.

Although I started this thread to demonstrate scene modes of the A55, as a beginning photographer i'm all ears for tips about how to get more out out of the camera or the scene.
Attached Images

Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:23 PM   #4

Perhaps I should rename the thread "experiments with A55". Here's a couple from this morning. A55 did a goo job of metering, I think, but either reaching limits of Minolta 100-300 APO zoom or camera was moving as resolution could be better. Are the colours a bit undersaturated as well?

Hard photographing birds, so much sun in Sydney even at 8:00 am, the birds are camourflaged and they move. Ah well something to practice I guess.
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:37 AM   #5

When I had the Sony A300, I bought the Minolta 100-300mm lens and did not like it at all. So, I sold it after 2 months. It produced a lot of PF and soft and under-saturated images particularly at the long end of the zoom. The two bird shots here shows exactly that. The images are over exposed, lack in resolution and colors are washed out (I can not believe that my monitor is that bad). From what I've seen, the A55 appears to be a great camera, very sharp and capable at high ISO. I think you'd do much better with a different lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:41 AM   #6

My Sigma 18-250 shots get they look sometimes but mainly it's me or the position of the sun.

The parrot pics are a bit washed out and overexposed. Try setting the exposure down to - .3.
I read where one person leaves his exposure setting to -.7 (2 clicks down)

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:25 AM   #7

Hmm

I always blame myself, but I was disappointed with the colour. Today I bought aperture 3 and ran their standard improvement filter with the result shown below.

Its heaps better, which shows it was me not the lens since the software is only working with what the camera captured. Its the subject for another thread in another section but now I ask myself is it still a photograph once its been worked on in aperture or similar or is now photo art?
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:30 AM   #8

And I did get a new lens, but not a new telephoto one as yet. I have my eye on the sony 100-400 but its more money than the camera and I doubt I can do it justice yet.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:15 AM   #9

The parrots are likely over exposed because because there is so much ambient light here in Sydney even early in the morning and the camera is pointed up at the sky. Having said all that, the parrots blends amazingly well into this particular tree.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:36 AM   #10

This one is manual focus, using an old sigma 2x teleconverter with the minolta lens at 300 mm and the A55. Manual focus because you can't do auto with the telconverter, the camera is probably 50-60 metres from the action. The auto enhance in aperture improved the colour in the photo heaps.

Actually I was quite pleased at the way the A55 captured the action as well as being there for the action. I don't follow cricket much any more but if I did I'd be telling the batsman to play with a straight bat.
Attached Images