Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:56 PM   #1

Default Which Models use Minolta lenses and accessories?

Hello,

I've used my Minolta 8000i and my 7000i for many years and now I want to go digital.

I'm thinking about trying Sony so I can use my lenses and accessories I bought for the Minolta's. Remotes, flashes, lenses.

What I don't know is exactly which Sony Camera's use the Minolta gear and if they are considered good quality, and something a guy could use a long time and be proud to own?

Any info you guys could give me would be great!!

Thank You!

Mm
Mmfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:32 PM   #2

Mmfh-

All of the Sony Alpha DSLR's can use the latest Minolta lenses. The external flash units do not cross over to the Alpha line as Sony changed the flash protocol. Selected Minolta lens are very good.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:27 PM   #3

Using your collection of old lenses as criteria for system selection today seems somehow not fruitful to me. i try to think about what my need is first. then see what system suits that need. for me, the sony was it. for others, it may not be.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:10 PM   #4

you can buy adapters here that fit your old slr lens to a dslr, but you can only shoot manual focus. Have never tried it, so am unsure on how it would cross over comparatively.
I agree with the above, select the camera by what you need it for
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:25 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
you can buy adapters here that fit your old slr lens to a dslr, but you can only shoot manual focus...
That information is incorrect.

The Minolta SLR models (7000i, 8000i) mentioned by the OP use Minolta Autofocus lenses (as do all Minolta SLR bodies since the Maxxum 7000 was introduced some 26 years ago in 1985).

Any Sony dSLR model can use any Minolta Autofocus (a.k.a., Minolta A, Dynax, Maxxum mount) lens with no adapter needed (Sony dSLR models use the same lens mount).

They will Autofocus, and they'll be stabilized (thanks to the in body stabilization system).

I've got a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and a Sony A700 dSLR that I use a variety of Minolta Autofocus mount lenses with. These include the Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8 and 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. I also use some third party Minolta AF mount lenses with it, including a Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, SP 35-105mm f/2.8, 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6; and even a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f2.8-4 APO AF lens.

They all Autofocus, and they're all stabilized on a Sony dSLR body (with no adapter needed, and I've used them with the Sony A500, A550, A700, and A850 with no issues).

Now, the older MC/MD mount manual focus lenses (used on Minolta SLR models introduced prior to 1985) will not work without an adapter. Minolta changed the lens mount in 1985 to a newer Autofocus design that was introduced with the Maxxum (a.k.a., Dynax) 7000 (and I've got a couple of these, too) . See this page for more details about Minolta's introduction of the Maxxum 7000 in 1985 using a new Autofocus lens mount (the same one used by current Sony dSLR models, and the same lens mount used by the OP's Minolta 7000i and 8000i):

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...um7k/index.htm

Any Minolta Autofocus Lens should work just fine on any Sony dSLR body (and again, they'll be stabilized, thanks to the in body stabilization system on these dSLR models).

Now, from time to time, you do see some third party lenses with AF issues (mostly older Sigma models). But, you see the same types of issues with some older Sigma lenses on other camera manufacturers' bodies, too.

But, if you stick with Minolta brand AF lenses, you should not have any issues with them on a Sony dSLR body (and the vast majority of third party lenses in Minolta AF mount will work fine on a Sony dSLR body, too).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:08 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmfh View Post
I'm thinking about trying Sony so I can use my lenses and accessories I bought for the Minolta's.
The lenses you have for your Maxxum 7000i and 8000i should work just fine on a Sony dSLR body (and they'll be stabilized on a Sony dSLR body, too).

But, keep in mind that most Sony dSLR models use an APS-C size sensor (smaller than 35mm film), with the exception of the Sony A850 and A900 (which use the same size sensor as 35mm film).

So, with most Sony dSLR models (using an APS-C size sensor), that means you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) than you'd have with them on a 35mm body.

As a result, you need to multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.5x to see how angle of view compares, to determine the focal length needed on a 35mm camera to get the same angle of view.

For example, a Minolta Maxxum 28-85mm lens would behave more like a 42-128mm lens on a dSLR with an APS-C size sensor.

That's one reason most dSLR models using an APS-C size sensor have a kit lens available with an 18-55mm focal range (since that would give you roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-83mm lens on a 35mm camera). Again, just multiply by 1.5x to see how angle of view compares.

Note that you use 1.5x for Sony, Nikon and Pentax models using a Sony APS-C size sensor. With Canon models with an APS-C size sensor (which are slightly smaller than the Sony APS-C size sensors), use 1.6x instead (for example, a 100mm lens on a camera like the Canon T1i would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 160mm lens on a 35mm camera).

So, it's probably a good idea to get one of the 18-55mm kit lenses with the camera you choose, as you may find that a lens starting out at 28mm may be a bit long in some conditions to fit what you want into the frame if you can't back up far enough. If you've got lenses starting out wider, you'd probably be fine in most conditions (I often shoot with a Minolta 24-85mm lens, unless I'm in really "close" quarters without a lot of room to back up).

As for your flashes, they probably won't work on a newer dSLR model (chances are, they'll fire at full power only). You'll need a Minolta 5600 HS (D), 3600 HS (D), 2500 (D), or newer flash model for use on a Sony or Konica Minolta dSLR.

Older flash models don't understand the commands needed for a metering preflash (as used by digital cameras, since the reflective characteristics of the imaging sensors makes it too difficult to use other metering methods like off the film metering).

So, a Metering preflash is used instead with digital (measuring the light reflected from a weaker preflash to determine the length of the main flash burst needed for proper exposure for a given ISO speed and aperture). In a newer flash model with bounce and swivel, I'd look at the Sony HVL-F42AM.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:18 PM   #7

sorry, no idea then, i was going off what some camera guy was telling me.
I only have old Pentax lenses, so have never looked into it
bella is offline   Reply With Quote