Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Ok Sorry for the super late response, I've been very busy lately...What would be the best ND Graduated filter for me for under $60?
If you have a Wolf/Ritz camera in your area, they sell very reasonably priced GND (graduated neutral density) filters (around $15-20) made by Quantaray.

Though it does not look as "natural" all of the time, you can replicate the same effect of a GND camera filter in Photoshop very quickly. If you are looking to get into filters, pick up a polarizer first and then if you still want the GND look use PS to play with it.
ColoradoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:34 PM   #12

I agree that, often, a CPL can accomplish much of what most people want from a GND, and can do it will less fuss. If you don't have a CPL, you might try one of those first.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:12 AM   #13

Ok I'll buy a CPL then first. I'll buy a HOYA one probably, people tend to like those.

Otherwise I do have a RITZ camera in my area, so maybe I'll also buy a GND there for $20 or so as well.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:13 AM   #14

Another issue with graduated neutral density filters is that the transition from ND to clear usually happens at the middle of the filter, which isn't always the best place for it. The "Rule of Thirds" would place it at either the upper third (when the landscape is the subject) or the lower third (when the sky is the subject). In this respect, Cokin filters would be more useful because they can be positioned with respect to the composition, while screw-thread circular filters can not.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:49 PM   #15

I have a Hoya CPL filter that I use when taking pictures of water rescue team in the water doing training and it works well for me.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote