Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:11 PM   #1

Default What type of filter?

Hello everyone...

I want to buy a neutral density filter for one of my cameras, my Sony a55 with the kit lens (55mm). My question is, what kind of filter should I be looking for? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of? Do I want graduated or solid?

Thanks!!!

edit: Would this be good?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ls_Filter.html

Last edited by adamvk; Dec 29, 2010 at 3:17 PM.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:11 PM   #2

I'd recommend getting a high quality slim circular polarizer first. Tiffen filters are not the best. Right now with my 55mm lenses I'm using a HOYA pro digital Circular polarizer filter and a HOYA HMC ND4. You still may get some vignetting at the wide end (18mm) at full aperture with these filters. HD filters seem to be the most popular high end filters out now. B&W & HOYA are the most common filters sold. Circular polarizer filters I find are much more useful then ND filters.

They can get expensive, spend wisely.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:48 PM   #3

The applications for neutral density filters and graduated neutral density filters is quite different. What would you use the filter for?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
I'd recommend getting a high quality slim circular polarizer first. Tiffen filters are not the best. Right now with my 55mm lenses I'm using a HOYA pro digital Circular polarizer filter and a HOYA HMC ND4. You still may get some vignetting at the wide end (18mm) at full aperture with these filters. HD filters seem to be the most popular high end filters out now. B&W & HOYA are the most common filters sold. Circular polarizer filters I find are much more useful then ND filters.

They can get expensive, spend wisely.
OK Thanks for the advice...I do want a neutral density filter though, maybe I'll just buy two high quality HOYA ones then, ND and then one polarizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The applications for neutral density filters and graduated neutral density filters is quite different. What would you use the filter for?
I would use it for landscape photography.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
I would use it for landscape photography.
While you can use a conventional neutral density filter for that, a graduated neutral density filter allows you to to place the graduation on the horizon, thereby darkening the bright sky but leaving the darker landscape unaffected.

BTW, a circular polarizing filter can have a similar effect, and would work better when the horizon isn't straight (i.e.: mountains or buildings.)
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
While you can use a conventional neutral density filter for that, a graduated neutral density filter allows you to to place the graduation on the horizon, thereby darkening the bright sky but leaving the darker landscape unaffected.

BTW, a circular polarizing filter can have a similar effect, and would work better when the horizon isn't straight (i.e.: mountains or buildings.)
So you're saying solid would probably be better for me?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
So you're saying solid would probably be better for me?
No. I'm sorry. A graduated neutral density filter would let you put the higher density part over the sky to darken it, and put the lower density part on the ground so as to not darken it. That would be better for you.

I'm also saying that you might be able to achieve the same thing with a circular polarizing filter.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:26 PM   #8

Tiffen HT are really good and BW MRC and the BW Käsemann are all very good CPL. The regular Tiffen's are ok cpl, but are not multicoated, so they can flare. The Tiffen HT are the easiest multi coated filters to clean. Hoya's are middle ground but their super HMC are very good also.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:30 PM   #9

Ok Sorry for the super late response, I've been very busy lately...What would be the best ND Graduated filter for me for under $60?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:34 PM   #10

the square ones work better for graduated, As you can position the filter to the right part of the shot. the circular ones that screw on are not that effective of graduated. Screw on are better for non graduated ND filters.

So simply put, there is not really good Grad ND filter in the 60 dollar range.