Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:32 AM   #11

It seems that the A33 & A55 compensate for the 30% light loss in other ways. The same scene captured with the both the A55 and the A580 will use the same exposure settings. Perhaps there's a little bit of amplification going on, which could result in slightly more noise in images from the A55 than the A580, but to my knowledge no one has shown that to be the case.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:19 PM   #12

Anyone know if Sony has made any efforts to correct the shutter lag?
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
Hmm. Not sure if the flash lag issue would affect me much but I guess it could do.

Maybe the A580 would be better after all with the bigger battery and I guess better low-light performance because it's not losing some to the AF system...

[Edit] I did a quick test to see if I would be bothered by the fraction of a second delay when using the flash. I took a photograph of my watch with my FZ38, using flash and clicked the button when the second hand got to 12. The picture below shows a whopping 2s delay between clicking the shutter and the result. And I can honestly say it has never once botherered me so I guess the much shorter A55 delay is unlikely to be something I'll ever think about again.

Martin. I believe your 2 second delay was a result of waiting for focus. a pre-focussed camera should fire as soon as the shutter is depressed fully. even a p&s. for the sony a55 to not is a major failing for those that use flash. optimism abounds in sony forums and there is much hope that sony will do "something" for the next generation of slt.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
Anyone know if Sony has made any efforts to correct the shutter lag?
i read a lot of forums and as yet, sony has not corrected this problem. perhaps in the next generation which is expected "real soon now". in any case, all cameras have pros and cons and it would depend on your particular needs whether this would be a problem for you.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:05 AM   #15

Is there any leaked news on the "real soon" releases from Sony in this category?
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
It seems that the A33 & A55 compensate for the 30% light loss in other ways. The same scene captured with the both the A55 and the A580 will use the same exposure settings. Perhaps there's a little bit of amplification going on, which could result in slightly more noise in images from the A55 than the A580, but to my knowledge no one has shown that to be the case.
DxOMark.com just showed it to be the case. The A55 has a lower signal to noise ratio (SNR 18%) than the A580, by almost exactly 1/2 stop. It also has a lower dynamic range than the A580 of from 1/2 to 1 stop.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote