Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:18 PM   #1

Default a33/55 overheating shooting stills or just hype?

I'm very interested in a a33 or 55, but read about the sensor tends to overheat supposedly even while shooting stills by some. Now that both have been out for awhile, what is the verdict? In what conditions do they shut down? Are some units just defective? Is the 33 less prone to overheating than the 55? Trouble is it won't be warm here for a few months (average temp is 35F right now). I don't want to invest in a system only to find out I can't shoot with it on tropical travels! Thanks for your help.
photomiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:19 PM   #2

it true if you shoot hd, it does overheat on warm days.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:40 PM   #3

It's true if you shoot HD Video with image stabilization on.

But to be clear, all dSLRs will overheat when shooting HD Video. Other brands just limit the duration of a recording so that it doesn't get to the point where it will overheat if allowed to continue. Sony just lets you record longer videos where the overheating can become a problem.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:43 PM   #4

Default a33/55 overheating

Download the manual and look at page 84.
I have an a55 and have not had an overheating problem ... I do not push the limits of 29minutes .
I get wonderful results from the AVCHD format, but for a bit more serious video work I use a dedicated camcorder when it needs to be set up for longer events.

Furd
Furd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:43 PM   #5

sony A55 only last 7 min compare to 15 min from some other brands when shooting HD with IS. So when it is warm out, do not shoot pass 7 min and you should be fine.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
it true if you shoot HD.
I'm just interested in shooting stills not video. I've read some reporting even with stills it tends to overheat. I'd like to be able to carry one in 90 summer sun and not have it shut down on me (as I've done with other more traditional SLRs).

Also, if you have a 33 or 55 without thermal shut down issues, let me know what conditions you have shot (stills) in -- temp, number of shots, time in use, etc. I'd buy one and test it out, but like I said, its snowing outside right now. Thanks.

Last edited by photomiler; Jan 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM.
photomiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:38 PM   #7

Default A33/55 overheating

Based on what I've read in various forums, the only example of sensor overheat while shooting stills, was when a user was shooting 10 frame bursts for several minutes . Other than that, all the overheat issues occurred while shooting video with IS active.
bobballoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:12 AM   #8

I have the A55 and have used it in the burst mode for stills but most of that has been at indoor temps or on cool or cold days outside. Had no problems. I haven't used it outside on a hot summer day in Georgia but as soon as the hot days get here I'll be using it. I honestly can't see it being a big factor. Using the burst mode the buffer will fill if you take "too many" and it will slow down (and that depends on the speed of the card).

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote