Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Default Sony commits to A700 replacement & full frame

Some good news for Sony users who might be worried about Sony's direction regarding these two areas:
http://forums.dpreview.com/news/1101...yinterview.asp
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:28 PM   #2

That's good news, I like the new cameras but I'm holding out for the replacement.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:53 PM   #3

There's also this: Imaging Resource Interview: Mark Weir, Sony

In that interview Weir states that the A700 replacement will use the "Translucent" mirror technology.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

In that interview Weir states that the A700 replacement will use the "Translucent" mirror technology.
Hmm.

I've used an A55 and I did like the EVF but, I just don't know that I would be comfortable giving up the OVF quite yet.

Back to the rumor mill I heard that Sony may come out with two different versions of the A700 replacement. SLR and SLT.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

That was clear (sort of) in Musashi Imamura's interview cited above as well - I guess that is why it has been christened (unofficially?) the a77. The a560/580 then may be the last of the traditional APSC DSLR's - if you prefer that type to the translucent mirror, get one while you can.:

Quote:
'There has been a lot of discussion about what an Alpha DSLR should be. We've been focusing for some time on utilizing our unique technologies. The translucent mirror is one and it performs very well. We want the A700 replacement to be in line with that kind of step forward, we want it to be superior to its competitors, that's why we couldn't make it sooner,' he said. But, he assured us, the results will be worth waiting for: 'With the A33 and 55 we tried to look at the problem and get rid of some of the old hassles - the A700 successor should be like that.'
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:38 AM   #6

I might not have minded it so much if they hadn't called the mirror "translucent". That's just stupid.

The EVF in the A33/A55 just doesn't have the resolution necessary to make it a viable alternative to the OVF. Hopefully, that's one of technologies they've been developing.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 13, 2011 at 1:40 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
... Sony may come out with two different versions of the A700 replacement. SLR and SLT.
Maybe...but it's just a matter of time before they standardize on the SLT technology. I haven't had a chance to actually hold an A33/A55 and check the EVF but from what I've read, it's pretty darn good. So, it will only get better as technology evolves. I think the SLR days are numbered.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Maybe...but it's just a matter of time before they standardize on the SLT technology. .... I think the SLR days are numbered.
I think that's certainly true for Sony. It's a bit less sure what the rest of the Industry will do. Several years ago, people predicted the future of anti-shake would be in-body only. Canon & Nikon who dominate the industry still haven't gone that route.

I tend to agree that after a couple generations, Sony should have SLT humming along quite nicely. The only real question is whether the market itself will care enough? At this point I dont see the SLT advantages being like video was - the market jumped on video and it became a required feature in new DSLRs. The marketability of SLT isn't that strait-forward. So I don't see a rush by other companies to do it. I think you'll see more emphasis on the smaller nex/evil type cameras by the others instead.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:35 AM   #9

One of the problems with the SLTs is that go through batteries pretty quickly. The batteries used in the A33 & A55 are pretty small (the same ones used in the NEX-3 & NEX-5, btw), and presumeably Sony will use a bigger battery in an SLT A700 replacement, but the current SLTs go through batteries about as fast whether you use the EVF or the 'Live View', whereas the OVF A560 & A580 get 2-3 time the battery life with the OVF than the 'Live View'.

So at the very least, an OVF is 'Greener' (if that matters to you. )

But the technologies in use in the A33 & A55 don't apply themselves very well to 'Full Frame' dSLRs yet. Sony is developing those technologies so they will hopefully be good enough for an 'A77', and surely 'Full Frame' is next, but we're not there yet.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I think that's certainly true for Sony. It's a bit less sure what the rest of the Industry will do. Several years ago, people predicted the future of anti-shake would be in-body only. Canon & Nikon who dominate the industry still haven't gone that route....
That's because they (still) dominate the industry and changing to an IBIS system is not in their best interest. They can make money on their lens stabilization system over and over again. However, I do believe they will eventually embrace the SLT technology (even if they end up developing their own version of it). Perhaps not 100% in the near future, but I do think that they will add that to their line up.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote