Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:07 PM   #1

Default Repair Advice Wanted

I have a Sony A-350 that developed some major issues with it and I stopped using it in March 2010. I like to find out what it would cost to get it repaired but I am not really sure what the problem(s). I don;t really know where to start as far as finding a repair center and finding out what it would cost to repair and then if its gonna be really expensive I may not even want it repaired.

- It doesn't Focus properly and images that look in focus on the screen and EVF come out out of focus when put on my computer

- Spots on the lens even after cleaning

I had a similar issue with the camera after it got sprayed with water and it worked after that for about 6 months after that. When I was finally convinced something was wrong and not my fault I contact the same repair center that declined to repair it or look at it for free as they had already given me on freebe repair and it was about 4 weeks after the 1yr warranty ran out.

Trying to figure out my options and if its even worth fixing

I now use a Fuji HS10 but the one feature I like of the D-SLR that the Fuji does not have is the ability to take burst of images.

Any and all advice appreciated. I am figuring its worth $200 to me to get it back to new but then again I worry it will happen again as the camera was not sprayed with water etc after the first incident.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:07 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
I have a Sony A-350 that developed some major issues with it and I stopped using it in March 2010. I like to find out what it would cost to get it repaired but I am not really sure what the problem(s). I don;t really know where to start as far as finding a repair center and finding out what it would cost to repair and then if its gonna be really expensive I may not even want it repaired.
[snip]
...I am figuring its worth $200 to me to get it back to new
I'd send it to Precision if you want to fix it. That's where Sony sends bodies for repair. It looks like it would run you $200.95 to try and bring it back to original specs (includes return ground shipping). They're quoting a flat rate for most models now. See the repair calculator on this page.

http://www.precisioncamera.com

Quote:
It doesn't Focus properly and images that look in focus on the screen and EVF come out out of focus when put on my computer.
Have you checked focus using one of the popular methods?

http://focustestchart.com/chart.html

Much of the time, soft photos have nothing to do with focus and have to do with shutter speeds that are too slow instead. For example, I've noticed slow shutter speeds in some of the photos you've posted in the past (for example, photos of fires in low light at night without a flash is probably going to require slower shutter speeds for proper exposure, even with ISO speeds bumped up). So, soft photos in those conditions doesn't surprise me and there may not be anything wrong with the AF (shutter speeds that are too slow may be the culprit instead). I'd check it yourself for focus issues (using focus charts, CD cases staggered at various distances, etc.) to make sure it really has focus issues before spending $200 on it.

Quote:
- Spots on the lens even after cleaning
Lens or photos? Spots on photos are usually caused by dust on the sensor and have nothing to do with a dirty lens (usually, unless you have a large smudge or something similar, a dirty lens won't impact photo quality). But, specs of dust on a sensor will show up as spots in photos (getting more defined as you stop down the aperture using smaller f/stop numbers when shooting against a bright sky)

Here's a site with info on popular methods to clean sensors:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:17 PM   #3

[

http://www.precisioncamera.com

Thanks for the info on the site. I will check it out.

Have you checked focus using one of the popular methods?

http://focustestchart.com/chart.html

Much of the time, soft photos have nothing to do with focus and have to do with shutter speeds that are too slow instead. For example, I've noticed slow shutter speeds in some of the photos you've posted in the past

Yes every photo from 1/8second to 1/500th in daylight has the same problem. I test static subjects but not at various distances I will do that....
But, specs of dust on a sensor will show up as spots in photos (getting more defined as you stop down the aperture using smaller f/stop numbers when shooting against a bright sky)

Here's a site with info on popular methods to clean sensors:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html[/QUOTE]

Yes the dots are on the photo and cleaning it as suggested by a member in this forum and following directions from bhphotovideo did nothing to make it go away.

THANKS for the info. I will see what that site has and make a decision. I am getting 200x better results with my Fuji HS10 and rarely get soft photos with it.

Thanks for your time and help.

dave
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:49 PM   #4

You can sell it to KEH, they'll pay you what it's worth, fix it, and sell it to someone else. That could save you a lot of trouble.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:06 PM   #5

I have sent a list of my equipment inculding all my lenses, batteries etc and the issues of the two Sony bodies to KEH earlier today and wanting to see what they have to offer.

dave
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:14 AM   #6

I hope it works out well for you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote