Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:20 PM   #11

If your presentations of those five photos were meant to prove something, I fail to see the point you were attempting to make. Please enlighten me.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:40 PM   #12

Now that it only takes the click of a mouse to zoom in to whatever you desire, 100%, 200% or more, people are going to notice the differences from their 6mp camera to their new 16mp camera. You think our DSLR's have gone mad, there's a new medium format camera back that's 80mp.
http://www.leaf-photography.com/

I don't have a problem with it as long as they control noise and the price. It does make it easier to make large crops if you need to. Why question or get frustrated with the technology? Just enjoy it and try not to spend too much.

Have you ever heard of Moore's law? Check it out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:57 PM   #13

This Moore guy seems pretty accurate on his predictions. I wonder who his pick is for the super bowl?

The huddled masses are generally easily impressed, and I guess pixels impress. Like Streets, I am getting along just fine with 10, I would never upgrade my camera based on megapixels. At this point, I like lenses better as an upgrade. When my Sony A300 dies, I will get another Sony. Maybe by then they will have all the current issues sorted out.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:08 PM   #14

I too Robert have no problems grabbing my 6mp 5D to go out and shoot with in most cases. In fact when it turns on and actually works I find myself using that camera with the Sony 18-250 more then my A700 and G lenses.

I am saving my money to buy the A77 when it becomes available. The rumors keep getting better and better. The last rumor I heard was 24mp.

As for Gordon Moore's super bowl pick??? Great thought though.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:24 PM   #15

My first digital camera was a canon s200, 2 mp. In September of 2004, Hurricane Ivan laid waste to my part of the world, and afterward, I got out and photographed the damage. When I look at thos pics now, I am amazed at the clarity, as long as I am viewing them on the computer. When I zoom in to 100% or greater, then I notice the shortcomings of fewer pixels. But for standard print sizes up to 8x10, I really think quality is a function of the lens, more than pixel count. I have a promaster manual focus lens that will give me crappy pictures no matter HOW many pixels I throw at it!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
My first digital camera was a canon s200, 2 mp. In September of 2004, Hurricane Ivan laid waste to my part of the world, and afterward, I got out and photographed the damage. When I look at thos pics now, I am amazed at the clarity, as long as I am viewing them on the computer. When I zoom in to 100% or greater, then I notice the shortcomings of fewer pixels. But for standard print sizes up to 8x10, I really think quality is a function of the lens, more than pixel count. I have a promaster manual focus lens that will give me crappy pictures no matter HOW many pixels I throw at it!
My first camera was a 1.3MP Pansonic camera that used 120MB supper floppy discs. I still have pictures from that camera on a DVD. I even photographed the coming of and after damage of a 2003 Hurricane Isabel with that camera. For its time it was a nice camera with large memory card just which it had more battery power -- we lost power for 3 days and the battery and spare died and had to wait to recharge them. As long as I am looking at the images on a computer screen or print them at 5 x 7 they look good to me..... but like you said when you zoom in at 100% or greater or try to make bigger prints you see the short comings of the pixel count.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:09 PM   #17

I agree, if you are only printing small it is fine, it doesnt really matter how many MP they have.
I have found the greater the megapixels in the camera, the better quality image I get.....but in saying that, thats only for when I do large format work, with this im talking large billboards, advertising work etc.
With a decent printer, you can use low megapixels and print a photo on very large canvas, that is only because canvas is very forgiving.

I can remember back when, I had a 32mb card, and a 16mb as backup, and that was a HUGE amount of space
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:10 PM   #18

Point being that earlier cameras, with less mp, with poorer performance do not do as well as the newer ones. Earlier photos could not be enlarged to 8x10 as can be the newer ones...from cameras with higher mp. I could, I suppose, if I wanted to make it a impressionist painting.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:18 PM   #19

The original of the last pic is 6.05 mb. I can enlarge and print a small part of that without a problem.
The one here is 409 kbs which is a big difference...needed to be smaller to download to the board. THAT is why the photos here are so small!
Do I want to make them into billboards, no, poster size, maybe. So, yes, more mp could be useful.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:24 AM   #20

I took a photo of my wife at a Dressage competition several years ago. I took it with a 3MP Nikon CoolPix 880. I cropped it to about 2MP, and printed it at 8x10. It hangs on a wall in my dinning room next to a similar 8x10 photo that was taken by a professional using a Nikon film SLR.

You need an eye loupe to tell which is the digital photo.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote