Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:15 AM   #1

Default Pixel Madness?

Why is there such a great push for image size? Will 20 plus MP become the norm for P&S cameras? I have a 10mp Sony A200 and use the "small,fine" setting for all my work. To be honest, I find it hard to see the difference between images made at the "large, fine" and "small, fine" settings other than upload time. Look at all the great photos shown on this forum that are less than 1MP in size. I'm beginning to think that the ongoing increase in image size is more marketing based than it is for technical or esthetic reasons. My A200 will become obsolete at the same time it becomes inoperable.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:26 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It sure is marketing and with most P&S cameras the quality isn't improved with larger pixel counts and a lot of the time it is reduced model to model. A good 6mp would be just about right for most peoples printing needs.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:01 PM   #3

I think it's not just marketing hype, though that's a big part of it.

In order to record Full HD Video, you need a horizontal resolution of 1920, plus you need to downsample to get there. In order to have a 2:1 downsample, you need a horizontal resolution of 3840, which, with a 3:2 aspect ratio in a dSLR, means an image sensor with a total resolution of 9.4MP, and more means an even better downsample ratio for an even higher quality video image.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:34 AM   #4

The 10th poster down from this link has a very keen knowledge of the megapixel mania...very informing...it also seems the more megapixels is required for better video quality so when it is shown on a HDTV it is downsized making the picture even better when viewed so video aspects have something to do with it...the new Fuji HS20 is coming out with 16Mp and MOS Sensor!
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...6776717&page=3
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:41 PM   #5

G'day Streets

Good Q mate - I agree with your perspective 100%
I am also of the 'old-school' too - if I want to make movies, I'll get a movie camera ... as I want to make damn-good photographs, I'll use a damn good still camera

To my mind, there are several things here to consider as well
For those in the magazine publishing business, they need 300DPI imaging, so a full-page image needs to have a long side of 11" x 300DPI = 3300 pixels ... which comes out as about 8 or 9megapixels
For those of us who are not in the publishing business, the above really does not apply. A good print [say for an 8" x 12" print] for display on the wall only needs 150DPI, so that 'we' might only need 5-6 megapixels

If you are only printing as 4 x 6" prints, then 2 or 3 mpx will do okay: if you are only looking at your images on the computer screen, then only 1mpx is needed [a screen of 1280 x 960pixels = 1.3mpx]

So - to my mind, I also question the industry direction of more & more pixels, with the associated increasing issues of electrical noise, rather than putting the design energies into useful features like better lenses, speedy focussing, good accurate metering etc

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:56 PM   #6

Actually, magazines generally want 1,200 dpi, but will settle for 600.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Look at all the great photos shown on this forum that are less than 1MP in size.
Most people resized the photos for web-friendly.

The resolution of display will improve. A good example the ultra high resolution Retina Display used in iPhone 4. Such 326 pixels per inch resolution (or even higher) may become the standard in the future.

Like computer storage size and speed, memory cards will get bigger in storage size, faster transfer speed. Keeps increasing megapixels is just part of getting better.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by antony View Post
The resolution of display will improve. A good example the ultra high resolution Retina Display used in iPhone 4. Such 326 pixels per inch resolution (or even higher) may become the standard in the future.
People look at their smartphones from a distance of about a foot. They look at their computer monitors at a distance of about 2-3 feet. There's no real need for higher resolution displays that aren't also bigger.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:15 PM   #9

first one is with a Sony Mavica FD75 (FD stands for floppy disk) 1 mp
second one is with a Sony Dsc 717 5mp
Third one is with a Sony Dsc H1 5 mp
Fourth is with a Sony Dsc H50 9.1 mp
fifth is with a Kodak Z981 14.2 mp
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:18 PM   #10

I did say, but lost the text somehow, that depending on how much one enlarges their photos (even on wallpaper) the clarity is changed from one to the other. When first I started I thought there was nothing better than the Mavica...except film...now, however I can zoom in on this last flower to capture the tiniest parts of pistol and stamen their reproductive parts, and enlarge them even more. Still they would be very much clear without the pixels running amok.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote