Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:55 PM   #1

Default Upcoming Sony cameras

Pl somebody suggest a site where all new/upcoming models of Sony digicams can b viewed? Abt to take the plunge for the new Sony A580 DSLR ? Any comments/opinions ? or is the A55 a better choice?

regards

Fayyaz
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:48 PM   #2
Administrator

Hey Fayyaz...

You posted this in our Sony Forum in our Point and Shoot section. We have a separate Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR Forum setup for dSLR models. So, I'll move this thread there for you.

As for new Sony models, they're not going to be shown on mainstream digital camera sites until they're announced. Once they're announced, you'll usually see a News Item on the main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com

You'll usually see them listed in the reviews section, too (as a Preview versus a Review if we haven't reviewed a new model yet). Here's the list for Sony:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/sony/

If they haven't been announced, you're looking at rumors. ;-)

As for the A55 versus A580, that depends on what you want in a camera. Personally, I'd probably lean towards the A580 if choosing between them. But, there are pros and cons to either choice.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
As for the A55 versus A580, that depends on what you want in a camera. Personally, I'd probably lean towards the A580 if choosing between them. But, there are pros and cons to either choice.
To elaborate, the A55 is a better choice for recording video, but it has a much shorter battery life than the A580 and there's no battery grip from Sony for it (though some are happy with this third party grip: http://www.ownuser.com.tw/e_mig_sa55.html )

The A580 has slightly better dynamic range and slightly less noise, so it's better for still photography. Also, there seems to be a few bugs in the A55 that Sony has yet to address.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:41 PM   #4

Thanks Jim C and TCav. A55 has heating probs too ? Can U suggest 1 single universal zoom lens for it? other than the 18-55 kit lens.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:57 PM   #5
Administrator

I keep seeing this problem (overheating) being brought up....

Personally, I have not seen any overheating from a Sony SLT camera, even after testing high speed bursts over and over. Ditto for normal usage over many hours.

But, I don't shoot a lot of video, and the temperature hasn't been that warm in my area yet.

Now, I have seen users report an overheating warning when shooting videos in warmer climates with the newer SLT models (A33, A55). Sony is also aware of the issue with longer recording lengths in hotter climates (and the use of Sony's Super Steady Shot Stabilization system seems to limit the recording lengths before that happens).

So, if you want to shoot very long video clips in hotter climates without any pauses to allow the camera to cool down with stabilization turned on using a Sony SLT model (A33, A55), I'd look elsewhere (buy a video camera instead). ;-)

But, for typical use (mostly still images, even with lots of bursts; combined with a few shorter video clips in a typical outing), I really doubt overheating would be an issue with the newer SLT series models.

As for the A580, I've seen no reports of overheating with them. But, any camera could probably be made to overheat if you tried hard enough, and I think it's a good thing that Sony actually monitors camera temperature and limits things like recording times for video when that happens (since heat can reduce component life). ;-)
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
... Can U suggest 1 single universal zoom lens for it? ...
No.

If you're going to use a dSLR for recording video, the Sony 18-250 would be handy, but it's more expensive and not as good as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:10 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
...As for the A580, I've seen no reports of overheating with them. But, any camera could probably be made to overheat if you tried hard enough, and I think it's a good thing that Sony actually monitors camera temperature and limits things like recording times for video when that happens (since heat can reduce component life). ;-)
Given the negative publicity the overheating warnings can cause, I can almost see Sony Engineers pouring over component specs and tests, while debating if they should increase the threshold by another 10 degrees before any overheating warning occurs (and they could probably do that kind of thing with a firmware update if they wanted to). But, the restrictions are probably there for a reason (to protect the components and insure a longer life).

Personally, it's not something I'd worry about for the way I use a camera. Here's one article about it:

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2010/09...rheating-issue

But, if you want to record longer videos in warmer climates with stabilization turned on, it does appear that recording times will be more limited with the A33 and A55 (probably to prevent potential component damage from heat).
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:21 PM   #8

Actually, JimC, there are other issues with the SLTs that Sony has yet to address. Many have to do with the use of the electronic viewfinder in a variety of exposure modes, using flash and not. None of them are necessarily crippling, more annoying, but the way the A55 operates in studio lights and with external flashes has gotten a lot of complaints.