Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:05 PM   #1

Default a33 lens question

Hi,
I just bought the Sony a33 and it's on its way now. I don't have a lens for it yet and would appreciate any feedback on a decent lens that will give me similar range as my old p&s Cannon Powershot A560 which has 4x zoom, 35-140mm capablities. I've always been content with my p&s's lens range ability.

Thanks so much!
Christine
christine78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Hey Christine.

Congrats on the A33.

Note that you started this thread in our Add-On Lenses Forum, which is the forum setup for add-on lenses used by Point and Shoot Cameras.

So, I've moved this thread down to our Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR Forum, where you'll be more likely to get some responses.

Most users tend to go with a lens starting out at around 18mm with a dSLR (typical for most kit lenses). That would give you the same angle of view as a 27mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Because the A33 uses an APS-C size sensor (smaller than 35mm film), any lens you use on it will have a narrower angle of view (appear to be "longer, or have more apparent magnification).

Just multiple the focal length by 1.5x to see how they compare. For example, a 50mm on your A33 would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera (50 x 1.5 = 75). Or, a 100mm lens on your A33 would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 150mm lens on a 35mm camera (100 x 1.5 = 150)

So, in order to get something with the same angle of view you want (equivalent to a 35-140mm lens on a 35mm camera), you'd need a zoom with a focal range of around 23-93mm. Of course, you're not going to find a lens that matches that exactly. So, you'd have to find something close.

I'd probably go with something started a bit wider for more flexibility. For example, something like an 18-105mm (which would give you about the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-158mm lens on a 35mm camera).

There are *many* lens choices, with pros and cons to any of them (size, weight, focal range, focus speed, brightness, flare resistance, distortion, sharpness at various apertures and focal lengths, etc. etc. etc.).

I'd give members a better idea of the types of subjects you like to shoot more often, along with an idea of your desired budget for better responses.

BTW, be careful if looking at any Sigma lenses for your A33, as they did find a problem in the way some of them work with the newer SLT models. Basically, you want to make sure any Sigma lens you get is marked as "A33, A55 compatible".

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...nfo_100910.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:18 PM   #3

Christine I have the A55 and ended up buying the Sigma 18-250mm lens. I've been quite happy with. I've read good things about the Sony 18-250 and Tamron 15-250.
Check the reviews and users here and other places - you'll get lots of info on these lenses.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:19 AM   #4

Christine-

The Sony 18-55mm kit lens comes the closest to duplicating the zoom found on your Canon A560. I use the Sony 18-55mm and Sony 55-200mm lenses on my a33 with excellent results.

Interestingly enough, while I also own the Tamron 18-250mm lens, but I do not use it very much at all with the a33, I much prefer the 18-55mm and 55-200mm combination.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:28 PM   #5

Thank you, everyone!! I appreciate you all taking time to give me feedback on my a33 lens question. I have A LOT to learn but I'm very excited about it!

I will mostly be taking pictures of my 4 active little children, occasional family trips, flowers and things in nature. I'd like to keep the cost of a lens purchase as low as possible.
-If I get the kit lens a33 18-55mm to start out, do you know if it will do well with lower lighting in doors? I was reading about another lens and was interested in the lower f/stop f/1.4 or f/1.8 because it's said to take great lower light pics. With the lower f/stop though it seems I'm constrained to a fixed focal length. So just wondering if you can get quality pictures indoors with the 18-55mm lens??

I'm curious too about whether you can get good bokeh/backround blur with that 18-55mm lens?? I'd like to be able to do this on occasion with pics of my kids but I am under the impression again that it's helpful to have a lower f/stop 1.4 or 1.5 to achieve that.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this.
Thanks again for your time!
Christine
christine78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:08 AM   #6

Christine - check your private mail here - I sent you some info.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote