Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 27, 2011, 6:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Well, I actually just sold my kit lens though, so I also need something wide angle ...
The Sony 18-55 is good as kit lenses go. It's not the best, but neither is it the worst. Replacing the one you sold with the same lens will cost you $200 (New), but for the same price, you can get the Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 HSM, which is better and faster. If you want the best, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 ($434 New) is it.

By selling your kit lens, it seems you've painted yourself into a corner. If money is an issue, I'd look for the best lenses I could afford on the used market (i.e.: KEH, eBay, Adorama, B & H, etc.) In addition to the test reports available at places like SLRGear and PhotoZone, Dyxum has lots of user reviews on lots of A-Mount lenses.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; May 27, 2011 at 7:18 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sony 18-55 is good as kit lenses go. It's not the best, but neither is it the worst. Replacing the one you sold with the same lens will cost you $200 (New), but for the same price, you can get the Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 HSM, which is better and faster. If you want the best, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 ($434 New) is it.

By selling your kit lens, it seems you've painted yourself into a corner. If money is an issue, I'd look for the best lenses I could afford on the used market (i.e.: KEH, eBay, Adorama, B & H, etc.) In addition to the test reports available at places like SLRGear and PhotoZone, Dyxum has lots of user reviews on lots of A-Mount lenses.
Yea, well this is why I was planning on getting an all in one zoom. I know that with my price range I'll only be able to get one with an aperture with 3.5 at biggest, but my a55 handles low light much better than even some full frame dslrs that I've used. (And I never/rarely shoot sports or action so speed isn't much of an issue.) I do mostly urban landscapes, normal landscapes, and portraits.
__________________
60D w/ Grip. Canon 24-70L. Canon 50 f/1.8. Speedlite 430EX II. Macbook Pro.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Yea, well this is why I was planning on getting an all in one zoom. I know that with my price range I'll only be able to get one with an aperture with 3.5 at biggest, ...
Whatever your price range, all-in-one zooms are pretty dim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
...but my a55 handles low light much better than even some full frame dslrs that I've used. (And I never/rarely shoot sports or action so speed isn't much of an issue.) I do mostly urban landscapes, ...
All-in-one zooms, in general, have a lot of distortion, so your urban landscapes may look a little odd occasionally.

Also, the greater than normal chromatic aberration may create color fringes in high contrast areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
... normal landscapes, and portraits.
At the focal lengths you would typically use for portraiture, all-in-one zooms already have maximum apertures of only f/5.0 or smaller, which is smaller than is typically used for that, but perhaps you can use the inherent corner softness these lenses have, to compensate for the greater depth-of-field.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; May 27, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 4:52 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Whatever your price range, all-in-one zooms are pretty dim.



All-in-one zooms, in general, have a lot of distortion, so your urban landscapes may look a little odd occasionally.

Also, the greater than normal chromatic aberration may create color fringes in high contrast areas.



At the focal lengths you would typically use for portraiture, all-in-one zooms already have maximum apertures of only f/5.0 or smaller, which is smaller than is typically used for that, but perhaps you can use the inherent corner softness these lenses have, to compensate for the greater depth-of-field.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Thanks again. I do realize all of these things, but the majority of the time I'll just probably use my prime lens that has an aperture of f/1.4. This all in one lens will mostly be for when I need either a wide angle or telephoto lens. (which isn't very often)
__________________
60D w/ Grip. Canon 24-70L. Canon 50 f/1.8. Speedlite 430EX II. Macbook Pro.

Last edited by adamvk; May 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.