Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:20 AM   #1

Default Replacement for lost A-550

It is not actually lost but rather has been "appropriated beyond my ability to recover". I had to leave it behind while fleeing a country where we do our ship refitting. I had a weight limit and the intellectual property of the company always comes first.

It is supposed to be shipped back to me but it has been several weeks and no one I know can be reached so I am assuming it has gone the way of the Dodo. I am not out anything as the company will cover any legitimate losses incurred. (I am a 68% share holder in the company so I know this to be fact)

I am looking at the A580 and was wondering what the thoughts of the group might be? Steve's has not yet done a review but it has been reviewed by others. I could not care less about video but it seems the A-580 is a bit better with regards to ISO and low light shooting.

The SLT does not do a thing for me as I tend to spend time shooting in high temperature conditions. If they are crapping out at 90 degrees then how is it going to act in burst mode when the temps here and in Africa get to be over 100 constant?

I would appreciate any input.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:38 AM   #2

The A580 is an excellent choice to replace your A550.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:10 PM   #3

Does the A580 bring anything special to the party?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:26 PM   #4

Compared to the A550, the A580 has a better image sensor, and a better AF system.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:22 AM   #5

The A580 gets a better DXOMARK than the Canon D60 and 7D it scores 80 on the DXOMARK the same as the Nikon D7000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wivSD...layer_embedded
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:42 AM   #6
Administrator

Another vote for the A580.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:59 AM   #7

Something you might want to consider is that the rumored A700 replacement is rumored to be announce in early July. It's rumored to be a second generation SLT, and since you mentioned that you weren't interested in SLTs, I didn't think you'd seriously consider it, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:12 AM   #8

Thank you for the input. It is not that I have anything against the SLT cameras and I do find the technology fascinating but for right now they seem to have issues with shooting in the conditions I see on a regular basis. The great thing about the A550 is that it got up and went to work regardless of conditions. That camera went from below zero degrees to over one ten and never once did it complain about being to cold or to hot. I should point out that at below zero the LCD display did not seem to happy but I did not find that surprising.

I may be wrong here but from what I have read all of my extra stuff I have for the A550 will work with the A580 (battery grip, remote and others) and that is really my only problem with going to a different series of camera. Given a choice I would prefer to wait to buy into something new but circumstances beyond my control do not allow me that option this time around.

Once again I do appreciate the group giving benefit of their knowledge. If anyone ever finds themselves with a ship in need of a refit give me a call and I am your guy.

Steve
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:09 AM   #9

"ship" or "boat"?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:27 AM   #10

We do (or did anyway) refitting and re-purposing of ships. Take an old ship that has seen the end of its useful service life and cut them apart to rebuild something that would fit a new role. Shoal draft fuel transport has always been our bread and butter business. All the fuel that can be carried with no more than seven feet of draft. I am bragging here but I doubled the tankage of the newest ship from Hyundai and I did it an one tenth the price.

Almost no one in that part of the world can afford a new ship so we take an old one and tear them down to parade rest and start over. Reuse everything we can to keep cost down. Other than new propulsion the biggest expense is labor. Compared to yard time at Newport News rebuilding ships around the Persian Gulf is dirt cheap.

Costs aside the political climate over there is not good right now and a guy can get his ass shot off and I am getting to old for that kind of thing. A friend at the State Department told me had I waited one more day I would not have made it out of Libya.

I wish I could have done more for the yard guys. I am bitching about losing my camera and they are over there getting killed. The first time we did this I got there (almost 20 years ago) and could not believe that most of the workers had no shoes. I used my (I think ) $20,000 satellite phone to get the office on the line for the number for any work shoe company that would come to us. I bought three pair of work shoes and two dozen pairs of socks for every yard employee and their families. I think what shocked them most is they had never met a white man that gave a crap about the people over production. The current yard manager is the son of the man that ran the yard my first time over.

And he got three new pairs of shoes and two dozen pairs of socks.

Steve

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Jun 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM.