Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:29 AM   #1

Default Making publications w/ a SONY DSLR

As a photography student, assignments in the courses are varied and many. Every once in a while, you are saddled with something that does not make a lot of sense, in your big picture or core curriculum. Such was my recent project, in Print Production, that was basically designed more for the graphic design part of the school than it was for basic photography.

Fortunately, other than jockeying a bunch of Getty images around like the bulk of the GD students in the class, as a photographer, I went out and shot my own images with the SONY a850 and my assortment of lenses (mainly the SIGMA AF 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX IF HSM, SONY CZ 135mm f/1.8 & SONY 50mm f/1.4).

Feel free to take a peek at it, here.

Again, I have nowhere the level of expertise as those I struggle through school with. I am just a guy with a GREAT camera, dealing with what they throw at me. You could do worse than use a SONY dslr solution.
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:52 AM   #2

So, I am a guessing you Like you Sony 850?
I am thinking on it as well. Like the full frame. Don't like needing to get all new lenses. sigh.
Liked you project you did for class. Showed a great level of expertise.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:20 PM   #3

Default SONY stop production of the a850

Well, if you are going to get an α850 w/ a warranty, you had better hop to it, because SONY stopped production of the camera in May. It is not that is was a bad camera, mind you, but their lines will no longer produce it. It was a limited for smart Full Frame buyers, who did not feel motivated enough to buy the α900.

Well, those days are over. The α900 is all you can get from SONY and their distributors, directly.

The α850 was a legacy-type camera and only the α900 remains of that legacy, now.

Good luck
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Jun 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:02 AM   #4

Default Putting your work to print

I headed over to the printer and had them make sure the publication was fueled up and ready to go. After a little re-coordination of the pages, Everything finally checked out, CMYK edited versions of all images were there, so color shifts should be minimal.

Five copies of this bad boy are at the press, so come Friday... I should have solid results for class and final evaluation.

What I find truly amazing, these days, is that you can almost do all the work from home ... fire the PDF file off to the printer via an FTP transfer and wait by the mailbox for your results. You never have to see these print guys, anymore. Now, that is one heck of a working relationship.

God help us all...

flickr & Sdi