Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr-sony-slt-77/)
-   -   On the cheap (wedding shots) (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr-sony-slt/189235-cheap-wedding-shots.html)

lomitamike Jun 20, 2011 10:09 PM

On the cheap (wedding shots)

1 Attachment(s)
I was asked to shoot a wedding and I got caught with only a Minolta 5D as my second body. I'm waiting for the A77, very patiently.
It was an outdoor wedding so I figured the light would be good and having a fast lens was not that critical. I decided to bring the SAL 55-200 SAM attached to the 5D (that doesn't always turn on), that's a cheap combo not your typical wedding photographers setup.
I had an A700 +VG with a Tamron 17-50 as my primary camera but this thread is to show what an old 6mp camera and a $200 lens is capable of.
I'm sure there are others who could get a lot more from this combo then I did but here's some of my results.
I chose some really harsh lighting conditions for the samples.
I did use a 5600 flash with the combo.

lomitamike Jun 20, 2011 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The flower girl, very cute.

lomitamike Jun 20, 2011 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The backlit bride. A flash was a must.

lomitamike Jun 20, 2011 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The B&G.

lomitamike Jun 20, 2011 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've always heard the most important shot is always the brides face.
Not always the easiest thing to get.

lomitamike Jun 20, 2011 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's no A900 & 70-200G but I think if your careful you can get some decent shots with this "on the cheap" combo.

lisalonewolf Jun 21, 2011 12:56 AM

Very good. Yes the brides face is a must have! Kind of the whole point...least for her. One thing a wedding photographer isn't is shy...need to get around to various points to be able to shoot every angle. Even if that means shooting from behind the minister at a distance. Before the wedding find several areas you will be shooting from...figure out where the sun will be aimed at and where the B&G will be standing...etc. then you will know where You have to be standing.
Weddings are stressful, to be in and to shoot. Prefer to do funerals.
You are off to a good start.

lomitamike Jun 21, 2011 11:07 AM

Good points lisalonewolf. I'm not the pushy type that's one reason I don't like shooting weddings.

Weddings, funerals, they both represent the end of freedom to a certain degree don't they.

selvin Jun 21, 2011 5:59 PM

Have to agree with you, it's not always the equipment that counts but the brain behind the equipment.
Lovely shooting with basic equipment.
Aloha

lomitamike Jun 21, 2011 9:43 PM

Aloha?
Thanks selvin, I sure like to get back over there. This is the time of year for the Kona billfish tournament. Never won anything but I sure do enjoy that event. Maybe next year.
Aloha