Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:02 AM   #1

Default Looking at an a33/a55/a35

I am looking at the possibility of testing out a new format. I am looking at the recently previewed SLT-a35 or a USED a33/a55. I was wondering if someone could point me to the best location to purchase USED Sony/Minolta Camera equipment?

I am currently a Pentax user and I have been considering the jump to the K-5, but thought maybe I should test out the competition in addition to purchasing the K-5 and then figure out what I like th best before I commit to long term to a format. I am actually going to probably buy a Sony, Canon and Nikon to test before I go all in with the K-5...so if you know reputable sites to buy these items used at reasonable rates that would be great. I have leaned away from eBay since their fees have continued to go up. I typically buy all of my equipment on the pentaxforums, and was just wondering if there was something like this out there with a really active community and marketplace for the other formats.

Any information is helpful.

-mackloon
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Administrator

http://www.keh.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.adorama.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the option...I buy from BH and Adorama frequently never heard about keh, I will have to check it out.

Does Sony have an active user marketplace like the pentaxforums.com has? That is the format I am used to...the users usually are very honest about the equipment, and I can get in to a new pair of shoes on the cheap when someone is upgrading or changing formats.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:08 AM   #4

There's Dyxum, AlphaMountWorld, and PhotoClubAlpha.

(Shameless plug warning!) If you're a member of Flickr, there's also the (official) Sony Camera Club.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:20 PM   #5

Thanks again TCav...

If I am looking for the best match to pair up against the D7000 and the K-5 in a Sony body...what am I looking for.

Or, am I best to go with an SLT-A33/35/55? I know that there are +/- in any option, and I do like the video that the SLT models provide, but at the end of the day...this is a camera for photos 1st and a video camera 2nd. I have a Sony HX9V for video and pocket...Just need a big body for better photos.

Any and all info is appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:05 PM   #6

The D7000 & K-5 both use the same image sensor as Sony's A55, A35, and A580. Each of them has their advantages and disadvantages, which is always the case, but for image quality, the A580 has a slight edge.

None of the Sonys, however, is the equal of the D7000 or the K-5. Those are "semi-pro" cameras, while the Sonys are more "advanced amateur" dSLRs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:09 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
Thanks again TCav...

If I am looking for the best match to pair up against the D7000 and the K-5 in a Sony body...what am I looking for.
If you want something closer to those from an IQ perspective, I'd look at the Sony A580 (it's a conventional dSLR design with no light loss through the mirror like you'd have with the SLT System Cameras). See more about it here:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666266164

The Nikon D7000, Pentax K-5, and Sony A580 all use a Sony 16MP CMOS Sensor and test virtually the same at the RAW level if you look at dxomark.com and similar test sites. It's got a lot of "bang for the buck" with a camera with that level of image quality (but, the Pentax and Nikon models have a bit higher end body design).
Old Jun 24, 2011, 2:11 PM   #8
Administrator

I see TCav beat me to it (I took too long typing a reply). :-)