Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:38 AM   #1

Default Can you guys recommend a lens for stop-motion (a33)?

Hey,
I'm a film maker. I'm not used to working with still cameras... so stop-motion is fairly new territory for me. Can anyone recommend a lens for the Sony a33? The sets will be about 6-8' wide and 5-6' deep. The camera won't be more than a few feet away from the animated puppets and the set.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Anthony
8trackfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:05 AM   #2

The best lenses are macro lenses, so something like Sony's 50mm f/2.8 or 100mm f/2.8, or Sigma's 70mm f/2.8 would be best. Also, I suspect that you wouldn't want the exposure settings to change much from shot to shot, so a fixed aperture would be better, and you wouldn't want the angle of view to change much, so a prime would be better than a zoom. The extra sharpness of a prime would be wasted on a video, but the other advantages of macro lenses would be a great benefit.

I presume you already have the 18-55mm kit lens, so you can use that to judge what focal length would work well for you. Do you have any idea what others have done in your situation?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackfilms View Post
Hey,
I'm a film maker. I'm not used to working with still cameras... so stop-motion is fairly new territory for me. Can anyone recommend a lens for the Sony a33? The sets will be about 6-8' wide and 5-6' deep. The camera won't be more than a few feet away from the animated puppets and the set.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Anthony
Keeping a fast shutter speed will stop motion on any lens. As TCav said the 18-55mm is a good place to start. I just purchased the Sony DT 35mm as a prime lens. You can read more info here about it.
http://kurtmunger.com/sony_dt_35mm_f...viewid235.html

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:42 AM   #4

Just to be clear, are you talking about Stop Motion animation (i.e:Gumby, Wallace & Gromit, "Her Morning Elegance" Music Video), or are you talking about High Speed Photography where you record a still image of a very brief occurance.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote