Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:16 AM   #1

Default About SONY Alpha SLT-A55VL

Hi to everyone,

I'm thinking to buy SONY Alpha SLT-A55VL with SAL 18-55mm F/3,5-5,6.

What I want to know is, in this camera the image stabilization system is on the body or it is on the objective? If it's on the objective will I have stabilization on this one?

(What I'm asking is the use of "VR" in nikon lenses or the "IS" on canon's.. Or if it is like Nikon D90 on the body)

Also, what are your thoughts about this camera?

I will use it for taking pictures of my son; sometimes pictures of nature or some photos from the trips I'll go to. It's important for me to take clear pictures at night and If possible, I would like to take HDR pictures which is my favorite type of photography.

I saw that it records FULL HD videos so it will be nice if it has at least overall quality HD videos.

Thanks in advance.
devotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:42 AM   #2

Canon and Nikon use optical image stabilization in some of their SLR lenses. Pentax and Sony use sensor shift image stabilization in their SLR (and SLT) bodies. (Sony's NEX series of cameras rely on optical image stabilization in some of their lenses. Olympus offers sensor shift image stabilization in some of their bodies.)

If you go with a Sony SLR or SLT camera, you will have stabilization with any AF lens.

The Sony A55 gives up 1/3 stop of light to the permanent, semi-transparent ("Translucent") mirror and AF system, so it's not quite as good in low light as, for instance, the Sony A580, but it is better at recording video, as far as that goes.

Sony's dSLRs and SLTs have a feature that will automatically create HDR images for you in the camera, but if you really want to do it yourself, you might find Sony's limited bracketing options a bit frustrating.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3

First of all, thanks for your quick response.

So will I have image stabilization on "SLT-A55VL with SAL 18-55mm F/3,5-5,6." ??

By the way, I've used Panasonic's fz100 .. I guess low light performance of a55 is much better then panny's fz100. Am I right?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:39 AM   #4

Devotee - you will have image stabilization on "SLT-A55VL with SAL 18-55mm F/3,5-5,6 as TCav stated. I used the FZ35 for a long time and was pleased with the results. I tried the FZ100 but felt the FZ35 took sharper pictures for my usage. I bought the A55 and I'm pleased with it. It performs much better in low light than the FZ35 and in my opinion better than the FZ100. Prices on the A55 will fall because the A77 will be announced very soon. I seldom used the kit lens that came with the camera but it isn't a bad lens.
Here's an example of the A33 with the kit lens - later I decided to get the A55 but they are pretty close to getting the same results on quality.
https://picasaweb.google.com/Clint50...CMvtrJXThMnbWQ

Check out the ISO values and flash setting - a pretty typical indoor family event.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything

Last edited by Clint501; Aug 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:43 PM   #5

Clint501,

I've seen your previous posts in the Panasonic section and I've always liked the style you explain things about photography.

I'm not a professional user so I think a55 will be enough for me. About the pricing, I'm buying all the complete for 400 euro which i think it's not so high?

I like to take blurred backgrounded images i think it's called depth-of-field and as I've seen dslr's are always better in this than any other ultra-zooms..
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:34 PM   #6

I wouldn't count too much on Sony dropping the price of the A55 in the wake of the "A77" introduction. I would, however, suggest that you consider the A35 instead of the A55. For about the price of an A33, the A35 is almost the equal of the A55.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotee View Post
Clint501,

I like to take blurred backgrounded images i think it's called depth-of-field and as I've seen dslr's are always better in this than any other ultra-zooms..
You maybe referring to "bokeh" - that's the "blurry" look of things in the background that are out of focus. Depth of Field usually refers to the area that's "in focus".

So if I want a blurry background I may choose a small depth of field with the subject in focus and the things behind will be out of focus.

TCav brings up a good point on looking at the A35. The image sensor and picture quality are about the same as the A55.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonyslta35/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA35/AA35A.HTM

Presently at Amazon the A55 with kit is $799 and the A35 is $699.
However the A35 does not have the articulating LCD like the A55 has. I really like the articulating screen, I find it very useful.

Last edited by Clint501; Aug 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:53 PM   #8
Administrator

Yea.. but, the buffer in the A55 is several times as large. So, for action shooting I'd hate to be limited to a 6 frame buffer shooting raw (when you get 18 or 19 frames shooting raw before a slowdown with the A55, plus with the A55 you get a faster max frame rate with AF without resorting to a smaller image size, as well as a fast Speed Prority mode without AF if you want to use it. You also get a GPS with the A55.

So, even though the A35 has the same sensor, the A55 has it outclassed in multiple areas for a pretty small price difference (only $100 right now).

For only $100 more for the A55 right now (it's only $699 body only after instant rebates at vendors like B&H versus $599 for the A35 body), that's not a bad price for a body with an internal buffer that's several times as large, with a faster available frame rate, + a built in GPS receiver.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:41 PM   #9

Well, I think I should go with A55 because I've chance to get it for lower price then the A33.

Thank you all for clearing up my mind.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:45 PM   #10

I've been pleased with my A55 - you can see some of the pictures I've taken in the "closeup" forum.