Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:36 AM   #1

Default You can now order your new A77

Just placed an order on Amazon. They took the page down right after posting it, but it appears to be working as of now.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-T...ag=rumors0a-20

It's been a long wait but I finally got one ordered!
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:04 AM   #2

Haha, it is like with Sony TD10 ... preorder € 1599, deliverable for € 1549 ... now, few weeks letter ... UNDER € 1200 !

If you want to be a first (overpaying) adaptor ... PREORDER!
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:14 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Haha, it is like with Sony TD10 ... preorder € 1599, deliverable for € 1549 ... now, few weeks letter ... UNDER € 1200 !

If you want to be a first (overpaying) adaptor ... PREORDER!
In the U.S., the HDR-TD10 was announced in January for availability in April at $1499.99. Here's the press release for it:

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/58850.html

You'll see this in it:
Quote:
...the HDR-TD10 will be available in April for about $1,500.
Here it is online from Sony (still $1499.99). ;-)

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666294297

You'll find the same price (within a dollar or two) at Authorized Sony Retailers in the U.S. For example, it's $1498 at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ull_HD_3D.html

So, those that bought one when it started shipping have been able to enjoy using it. But, those that waited until now would still have to pay the same price (approximately $1499) if they want to get one from an Authorized Sony retailer in the U.S. (versus buying a gray market camera that may end up having warranty issues if it breaks if it wasn't intended for sale in the U.S. and wasn't purchased from an Authorized Sony dealer in the U.S.).

So, that's not a very good example (HDR-TD10) of why you should wait for price drops if you're in the U.S. (as the OP is).

If you wait until the price drops (which may take a long time, depending on the product, your location and the competition), you may miss out on a lot of enjoyment you would have gotten from using a product.

We'll have to wait and see what happens with the new A77. I can remember when the A700 was first announced at $1399, they immediately dropped the price to $1299 the next day in the listings. I got mine from the first vendor I could find that had them in stock (which happened to be ritzcamera.com, as they got their first shipment before anyone else in the U.S. did), paying full retail price for it (which came to a body only price of over $1300 after 2nd day air shipping).

I was already enjoying using mine in September 2007 (the same month it was announced), because I was an early adopter. For example, here are some photos from mine posted in September 2007:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...low-light.html

Sure, I could have waited for months and probably could have found one for less. But, then I wouldn't have enjoyed using it in the interim. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:14 PM   #4

Wow. That A77 looks some camera. Just saw some youtube reviews. Amazing. Approaching medium format sensors.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:36 PM   #5

Better distribution of light on those medium format sensors, but when you are up around 80MP on the back of a 645AFDIII... that is some kind of image size. 3 of those images and you have filled an ordinary CD-ROM. Awesome.
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Sep 13, 2011 at 8:38 PM.
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:21 AM   #6
Administrator

Now $1299.99. But, it was $200 higher here when you made your post. Price reductions on newer items don't happen as fast here. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:24 PM   #7

Gee, if you had only waited a little while longer. There is an even better camera coming out that will outdo the A77.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
Just placed an order on Amazon. They took the page down right after posting it, but it appears to be working as of now.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-T...ag=rumors0a-20

It's been a long wait but I finally got one ordered!
About the only major improvement over my A580 would be the FPS rate.
I don't need 24mp to clutter up my hard drive and the 16mp sensor on the 580 is quite good.
I need to hear a lot more Wow, Amazing, Outstanding, Class leading sort of review comments before I let loose of my 2 grand.